Need links to answer a few questions.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SE Iowa

Jan 17, 2008
SE Iowa
I tried a search on the regulations about putting a boiler in your attatched garage but could not find one. In addition, is there a link to a topic on the approximate cost of the various indoor and outdoor gasification boilers? I have a soild concrete wall b/w my garage and house and wondered if this is considered "safe" according to code (although there are no codes in my county except for sewers)?

Short answers on a garage install, since I don't know what your building codes are: 1) check with your local building inspection department; 2) check with your house insurance agent; 3) find out what your local building code is, study it carefully, and then repeat 1) and 2) from a knowing perspective.

jebatty said:
Short answers on a garage install, since I don't know what your building codes are: 1) check with your local building inspection department; 2) check with your house insurance agent; 3) find out what your local building code is, study it carefully, and then repeat 1) and 2) from a knowing perspective.

Excellent advise. ;-)

In general the flame needs to be 18 inches above the floor - don't thing they differentiate between solid fuel, gas,oil. Most states have codes based on the international mechanical code, so I am told. Michigan is for sure.

SE Iowa said:
I tried a search on the regulations about putting a boiler in your attatched garage but could not find one. In addition, is there a link to a topic on the approximate cost of the various indoor and outdoor gasification boilers? I have a soild concrete wall b/w my garage and house and wondered if this is considered "safe" according to code (although there are no codes in my county except for sewers)?

A very crude way to approximate cost for most boiler installations would be to take the cost of the boiler itself and double it.

From what I've read on this board most building inspectors and insurance companies will not allow these boilers in the garage. Several have walled off areas in their garage with outside access only to get approval. Read on...you'll find the answers.

Status
Not open for further replies.