need new chimney install location advice- pics included

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What is on the wall of the living room of the main floor between the existing gas fireplace and the foot of the stairs?

I think the kitchen is adequate, but if it were my house and I could get the wife on board I would be looking to place the stove on the main floor somewhere in the living room...

What is on the wall of the living room of the main floor between the existing gas fireplace and the foot of the stairs?

I think the kitchen is adequate, but if it were my house and I could get the wife on board I would be looking to place the stove on the main floor somewhere in the living room...
Nothing that can't be moved. My wife is very attached to the location for her workout equipment though. ;)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    218.2 KB · Views: 101
Any suggestions on how to pipe a pellet. Stove in the walkout? Also brand best for money? I'm not too familiar with them.
Visit the pellet forum here and you'll get an earful. Just understand that there are fanboys that all believe their stove is the best stove. Best depends on what you want, but be sure to ask about the cleaning frequency. Some folks love their stoves and then you find out that they are cleaning them every day. For comparison I cleaned our Quad 1200i every other week. Big difference. Also ask about noise. A pellet stove is a small wood furnace with multiple blowers. Some are very noisy.

I think right outside the dining room where it looks like you have it drawn in already in post 15 would be the ideal from a thermodynamics perspective, central location on the floor and floor plan, and pipe inside the insulation envelope as long as possible. Certainly you want the flue far enough away from the balcony that young children can't scald their skin off, probably a minimum inch clearance in your building code as well.

If the wife is on board with that location, hearth size and probably a fence so the kids aren't licking the hot stove I would get that installed before she changes her mind, biggest stove she likes the look of and the biggest hearth she'll let you build.

My current hearth measures 22" from the door opening to hearth edge. US minimum is 16", Canada 18". These are minimums. I would encourage you, esp since you have the sqft-age, to think about building out to 44-48" from the door opening.

1. you can close the fence gate behind you, tune out the kids while you are dealing with the stove.

2. My furthest rug burn from a jumper burning ember is 29" from the stove door, 7" out past the hearth. You know that country music song "you're going to miss this" about how fast kids grow up? My youngest of four is 21 this month, the song is true. With some room on the hearth if you get a jumper you can ignore it, finish loading the stove, leave the burning ember, close the gate, scoop up the screaming kid and race to the kitchen before (hopefully) the oatmeal boils over.

3. With 44-48" you'll have a section of hearth wide enough to lay down the pad from a chaise lounge directly on the hearth in winter. So if your wife is cold she can take the pad in there behind the fence and get both radiant heat out the stove door but also conducted heat from the hearth up through the chaise pad - very restorative, if you don't mind advice from an older happily married man.

Heating 1000 sqft of main floor and 700 sqft of upper floor from there you will have a hard time buying too big a stove. Easier to build a small fire in a big stove than a big fire in a small stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.