Need recommendation:chimney,pipe,etc

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

retro02

Mar 20, 2013
Can anybody help me to choose chimney,pipe and and all that is necessary?
My stove will comes next week and I need to instal asap.
US Stove Medium Wood Stove 2000.
Minimum Chimney Hieght-12
I have from stove to ceiling 6ft.
Roof about 9 in.
Do I need chimney Pipe like this size:6"x24"?
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000H5XXHA/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_10?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1SV1BYDTUK2Z5
What about this one?
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0009SQG3I/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_10?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2ENTBEZKGXKVW
Thank you!

Hi retro- best advice is to go to a hearth store and talk to a person about class a chimney. There are many types, what you start with, you need to use fully, no mixing of components. Basically you will need black pipe (single wall or double depending on how you are installing your stove IRT clearances needed), a class a stove adaptor (adapts single wall or double wall to class a system), a through the ceiling support box, class a chimney pipe to get through the ceiling to outside, depending on pitch and make sure you meet the 10, 3 and 2 rule outside- min of 3 feet on highest point exiting, and pipe is 2 feet higher than a diameter of 10 foot circle around pipe, for proper drafting. A roof flashing and storm collar and a cap. I've used Superpro, Metalbestos and Ventis class a chimney, all good products but costly and absolutely necessary with woodstoves. Oh yeah, if your stove isn't 6 inch flue, make sure the class a is same diameter or more, a new stove I'm sure will be six inch. If you're doing this install yourself, measure 2 or 3 times, keep it square and safe, seal outside up too. Good luck.

Download the installation manual from one of the major vendors like DuraVent or Selkirk. You can use galvanized or stainless for the class A pipe. Inside, from stove to ceiling you definitely don't want galvanized. It should be heavy gauge (24 or 22) black steel. But for that short a run I would use double-wall connector pipe like DuraVent DVL.

Also, check your stove's minimum distance from stove to ceiling or minimum ceiling height. 6 ft is very low for a ceiling.

Edit: From the manual:
• Floor to ceiling height must be at least 7’ (2.13m) in all cases.

Status
Not open for further replies.