Need some Advice Dutchwest 2500x02 or Quadra Fire 4100i

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

num1hitter

Feb 9, 2012
Reading, PA
I currently have a Dutchwest 2500x02 insert. I like it very much but it might be too small for our heating needs. It is in great condition, replaced the baffle, gaskets, and firebrick this year. I have a 1700 sqft bi-level home. It takes the 2nd floor all day to heat up to about a high of 69.

Currently there is a Quadra Fire 4100i on CL for sale for $500. The price seems like it would be negotiable since the owner is moving and motivated to sell. He indicated it only has some cracked firebricks but no other issues. It is only 4 years old. I am going to see it tomorrow. This one is thermostat controlled unlike the DW.

My questions for you are: Does this seems like a good move to upgrade to a larger unit? Is the quadra fire 4100i a good unit? (I've been doing some research and only found issues with smoking other than that people were happy). Is $500 a good price for this used 4100i, being 4 years old and supposedly in good condition? If you have experience what are some pros and cons with both?

Thank you very much for your time!

I went to look it today. It appears to be in very good shape. Only needs a few new firebricks since they are cracked. The thermostat and blower are in good working order. He indicated that the thermostat was replaced last year. The baffle looked to be in good condition. It is a fiberboard baffle. Does anyone know how often they are supposed to be replaced? It looks like I am going to buy/pick it up tomorrow. Is $500 a good price? Or do you think I should try to haggle. I do not want to insult him if it is a really good price. Thanks for any help!

I went to look it today. It appears to be in very good shape. Only needs a few new firebricks since they are cracked. The thermostat and blower are in good working order. He indicated that the thermostat was replaced last year. The baffle looked to be in good condition. It is a fiberboard baffle. Does anyone know how often they are supposed to be replaced? It looks like I am going to buy/pick it up tomorrow. Is $500 a good price? Or do you think I should try to haggle. I do not want to insult him if it is a really good price. Thanks for any help!
http://www.quadrafire.com/Products/4100i-Wood-Insert.aspx .. The suggested retail price is $2,851.00 (starting price). Sounds like a hellava deal to me!

Ray

That's where I'm at on the stove

I get some break on the pipe, trim cover etc

$500 is cheap but I'd ask the veterans what else to look for

I'm in town, not sure they would permit a used stove so check local regulations.

Got unreal install weather for November ,75 here tomorrow

39 and rain/snow for sunday

te="raybonz, post: 1234236, member: 4147"]http://www.quadrafire.com/Products/4100i-Wood-Insert.aspx .. The suggested retail price is $2,851.00 (starting price). Sounds like a hellava deal to me!

Ray[/quote]
That

I saw the retail price and thought it was a steal but am not aware how well stoves hold their value. Thanks for everyone's responses

Why not ask if he will take $400? All he can do is say no. He ma agree and you'll save money.

I agree with bigdaddy, offer $400, if he says no way Id still buy it for $500, still a great deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.