Need some advice

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sourdough

Aug 14, 2015
Firbanks
Hello everyone,

Getting ready to install a wood stove or possibility a wood insert to heat my home with.

Info:
House was built in early 70's located in Fairbanks, AK. Decent insulating properties minus it needs updated doors and windows. It is an A frame with that is heated with hot water baseboard, but fuel oil is an OMG cost up here in the winter. I have a finished basement which is where my water, sewer as well as the boiler for the HWBB. I have to keep it warm but we don't spend much time down there.

As well, I have a chimney that has 4 appliances going to it: Oil boiler and an out of service wood hydronic boiler on the back side. As well to old fireplaces stacked. One in the basement and the other on the 1st floor. There is a loft as well, which is the master suite.

Question: Do I go with a large wood insert( Harman or Blaze King P) in the 1st floor fireplace or an extremely large free standing down stairs. If I go the 2nd route, I will have to figure out a way to seal off the chimney opening for the inop wood boiler, as well the fireplace opening down stairs and setup free standing in that place. As well, I am fairly sure that all 4 appliances dump into one flue. I know for sure that the wood boiler and the down stairs fireplace do. Just looking for some ideas.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Wood stoves are generally considered space heaters. Put it in the space that you need heat. My concern is that you need heat in the basement for all the utility stuff. Does your current system have a separate loop (zone) for the basement?

As well, I am fairly sure that all 4 appliances dump into one flue.

That's a no-no. Each appliance needs to have its own flue due to safety reasons. How wide is the flue? Maybe you can run some independent liners down there. Making a separate chimney for the oil burner may also not be that difficult and cheaper than getting one for the stove.

How much oil do you use during the coldest winter month? That will give you an idea how big the stove/insert needs to be. Are those fireplaces at an interior or exterior wall? At an interior wall there is little difference in heat output compared with a stove.

Do you have several cords of dry wood (moisture content less than 20%) already split and stacked in your yard? If not you will have a tough time to heat your home with a wood stove this winter.

Last edited:
The HW boiler may keep the basement warm enough to avoid freezing, assuming it is very well insulated. If that is so I would probably go for the Princess in the fireplace with a full insulated liner. I would also get the other appliances off of the chimney flue. Get a good sweep to investigate as well as your oil boiler service person. Ask about putting the boiler on forced draft exhaust fan or running a separate stack for it.

Reactions: Osagebndr
Wood stoves are generally considered space heaters. Put it in the space that you need heat. My concern is that you need heat in the basement for all the utility stuff. Does your current system have a separate loop (zone) for the basement?

Yes it does.

Thanks for all the help guys. I got it figured out. Basically, I crawled up on the roof. I have 3 flues. 1 for the oil boiler, 1 for the upstairs fireplace and the last one was for the DS fireplace and old wood boiler. Gonna throw the princess insert in upstairs fireplace. Then remodel the DS fireplace and install a free standing stove down there.

Yes, I have 8 cord of cut and split under tarps and stacked.

Thanks again guys.

That sounds better. You'll want to put in a stainless steel liner for the insert and most likely for the DS freestander too. Be sure the flues are completely cleaned before doing this.

That sounds better. You'll want to put in a stainless steel liner for the insert and most likely for the DS freestander too. Be sure the flues are completely cleaned before doing this.

Already on it. Chimney sweep, repair guy comes tomorrow for a complete cleaning. Not sure, but I don't think I need an inspection since I am running liners for both units. Thoughts?

20150814_094641.jpg 20150814_150504.jpg

Before and after photos of my project on Friday. This is the DS fireplace

The liners probably should be insulated. Inspection requirement is up to the local jurisdiction and insurance requirements.

That is an old heatilator fireplace by the looks of it.

The liners probably should be insulated. Inspection requirement is up to the local jurisdiction and insurance requirements.

That is an old heatilator fireplace by the looks of it.

Yes it is. Both of them are actually. Will that be a problem for the upstairs insert? I plan on using the Sawzall to cut out the firebox and insert the princess.

I can see cutting out a heat tube to clear the liner, but why cut out the firebox? That doesn't sound like a good plan or a safe install.

I have enough room, but I have to cut out the damper to make room for the liner. The bottom is some type of brick deal with an ash drop thing in the back bottom.

OK, cutting out the damper is common. Cutting out the entire firebox is a no-no.

Status
Not open for further replies.