need some help with an old VC defiant stove!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave426

Dec 18, 2009
Dedham , MA
I have a vermont castings defiant, model 1 I think, bought in 1977 and used ever since...now I am having a problem with the handle on the side loading door. This model has the nickel handle on the outside of the door. For some reason (rust?) it has seized up and I can barely get the door open and reclosed after adding wood. I tried oiling it on the inside and outside, which made things worse... the inner strike bolt has an allen nut but it is a strange diameter and it seems loose anyway. The exterior handle has only a pin hole opening in it, again not a standard allen wrench size. My question is: can the handle shaft be removed from either side of the door? I am worried about tapping it and either breaking it or cracking the door. I would appreciate any suggestions all of you might have, since it is in the single digits here tonight and I worry there will come a point where I will not be able to either open or shut the door. Thanks!

I thought the Allen bolt was an odd size on mine as well. Turned out in my case that there was some hardened gunk in it. It's supposed to be 1/8", and I beleive that is what fit, but it's way too hot right now to check it out. If I remember, I'll check on it tomorrow morning before the first fill of the day.

You can take the handle shaft out from either side if you remove either the latch or handle. If the latch and handle move normally with the door open, chances are the latch itself has moved on the shaft and no longer engages the lip on the stove itself correctly. If you loosen the allen screw on the latch and move the latch assembly in our out, you can easily correct this. If the whole assembly is hard to move with the door open, then creosote build up on the inside is the most likely culprit. Use a wire brush to remove it. It's not exactly a great time of year to do it, but removing the shaft and latch so they can be really cleaned, even the part that goes through the door, is the best way to do this. The only other possibility I can think of is a bent shaft, but it's so short this doesn't seem at all likely. Powdered graphite is the best lubricant for this use. The fact that oiling made things worse also indicates creosote build up.

The shaft is held to the handle with a press pin. Can only come out by working the handle and pulling at the same time. Yes if you tap it you will break the door. The allen head is just junked up. Try to save it, those nickel handles are not made any longer.
Go to an auto parts store and get Hi-temp anti seize, it's a silver or copper hi temp grease. I have rebuilt VC stove 8-9 years after the first rebuild where I used anti seize and was able to back nuts and bolts right out. Anything with threads should get anti seize b-4 putting back together, also the shaft.

Status
Not open for further replies.