need some help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Defiant is a nice unit, with a good reputation overall, but it is also a BIG heater, typically it's good for about 2,000+ sq ft, or more than FOUR times the room you're in - I think it would be overkill for that space. OTOH the Cat Encore is big enough for overnight burns, and has a good wood size - 18" is it's reccomended size, though you can get 20" into it. At the same time, it's heat output isn't quite so overpowering, and the thermostat controlled burn gives excellent control so you can run it effectively at a fairly low output.

I've never done a census, but I'd guess it's probably the most popular VC stove, and is another solid performer. Many people really like it's top load ability that is said to make loading the easiest of any stove The reversible flue collar also is nice for the extra flexibility it gives in installation.

I have some limitations on my setup that rule out a lot of stoves, but the Cat Encore is very high on my "short list" of stoves that I would consider for my own setup. Even if I had a more flexible situation, the Encore wouldn't move that far down the list. (Which is not saying the other stoves are bad, just that the Encore is one I think has an overall slightly better design) I'd also consider a PE or maybe one of the Englanders (especially if on a tight budget). Quads and Jotuls are also nice, but I would note that Jotul seems to have more than the average complaints about stoves being to small - I suspect this is a difference between European and American expectations... However I would say that there aren't many "bad" choices as long as you get the firebox size right.

(BTW, it is best to ignore MFGR claims about BTU outputs and "reccomended areas for heating", the really key thing to look at is firebox size.)

Gooserider

mousetrapgal said:
ok dumb question, what's a thermostat controlled burn?

First, I can see why a wood stove would be better than a pellet for your purposes. Second, if you are referring to my post about thermo - control. that applies to pellet stoves. They can control the heat output of the stove by regulating the burn rate and the circulation air. They can turn the stove on/off and determine the feed rate of pellets. I am not familiar with the controls on the most sophisticated wood stoves, but there are some that do control burn rate. I'll let others more knowledgeable fill in the blanks there.

Several VC stoves have thermostatically controlled secondary air. What this means is that after you have the stove going well, you engage the cat, close down the primary air to the desired temp and from that point on the stove will regulate itself to maintain that temperature. It's pretty slick. I wish more stoves had it. Elk has done numerous posts on it's operation here. Do a search on Encore posts by Elkimmeg.

mousetrapgal said:
ok dumb question, what's a thermostat controlled burn?

As mentioned, several VC stoves, including the Encore, have thermostats that will attempt to maintain a constant output temperature from the stove by regulating the air supply. Elk's posts talk about it frequently, and he describes it very well. There are a few other stoves that sort of do similar things, PE is one, and there are a couple of others, but VC is reputedly one of the better stoves at making it really work well. Because they keep the air supply more tightly controlled, a thermostatic stove tends to have slightly longer burn times, especially at the lower temp. settings.

Stoves that don't have some sort of thermostatic control are a bit fussier to adjust the temperature on, you can set a given air flow, which will control what the fire is doing at that particular moment, but as the fire goes through it's burn cycle, it's air needs change, so you either have to live with the stove temp going up and down, or keep adjusting the air control in an effort to keep a stable heat level. Generally most folks eventually figure out a reasonable "compromise" setting that will keep the temp fairly close to what you want.

Gooserider

Just put a deposit on the VC encore in brown. I have to have someone build the hearth and I want to put cultured stone on the wall behind where the unit will be. So, it will probably be a while, but I will post pics when its done. Thanks again everyone.

just in case this is of interest to anyone....I originally wanted the red one ( I know, I know no one on this board likes red). Normal price for a 2 foot section of chimney pipe is $8.00. A 2 foot section of red pipe is $150.00. No sense in going with the red if I can't get the whole deal.

Congratulations! Can't wait to see the pictures.

Hey, our old 602 was a nice shade of dark red. We loved that stove.

mousetrapgal said:
Just put a deposit on the VC encore in brown. I have to have someone build the hearth and I want to put cultured stone on the wall behind where the unit will be. So, it will probably be a while, but I will post pics when its done. Thanks again everyone.

just in case this is of interest to anyone....I originally wanted the red one ( I know, I know no one on this board likes red). Normal price for a 2 foot section of chimney pipe is $8.00. A 2 foot section of red pipe is $150.00. No sense in going with the red if I can't get the whole deal.

Just as a minor note to explain part of the possible reason for the high price on the red pipe... When Elk and I were doing the VC tour that we took a while back, we were told that the red enamel uses CADMIUM in it's formulation, which is what gives it the red color. The problem is that that the cadmium enamel in its liquid state is HIGHLY TOXIC - they have to put the workers in full hazmat suits, limit their exposure times, and go through a whole bunch of extra cleanup and safety precautions that they don't have to do with other colors. This makes the red stoves much more expensive, and I would presume that the same thing applies to the pipes. (Note that the cured enamel is 100% non-toxic and safe, it is only the uncured stuff that's a problem...)

Gooserider

Status
Not open for further replies.