Need some NC30 help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mol1jb

Feeling the Heat
Jan 8, 2014
Central IL
Hey all,

Since this is my first year with the NC30 I'm still working out the kinks. Lately, I have been having issues with it running too hot at the begining of my reloads. I reload normally at 300* or less, turning the air down gradually until about ~500 when I turn it between 15-0% open. From there it just seem to sky rocket. The secondaries are going nuts and my temps top out around 700* for between 30 mins to an hour. Then the temps drop like a rock with the wood all gassed out due to the intense burn.

This is good for mornings when I need to nock off the night chill but for evenings I like a slower more gradual burn. I know many have experimented with magnets blocking off secondary openings, either dog house, secondary burn opening or both.

My questions to those is which holes, how much and did you achieve the desired result of a slower more gradual burn?

Thank you

Start the air reduction earlier and close it all the way off before you try changing the design is the bet approach. The 700 is not an issue and is common with this stove and good wood. What are you burning? Maybe the wood is on the softer side of the BTU spectrum - that or just too darn cold and you cycles are shortened like most of us right now.

If none of this works try the rectangular hole in the bottom at the back. A little at a time.

I agree with Boburban... Dont mess with the stoves design. Personally i would not restrict my secondary intake holes.
You want those secondaries to be going crazy ,its all free heat. Sounds like your stove is working normally. There is only one adjustment on the stove, so if you want a slower burn, turn it all the way down. IF you have a good load of hard wood in there it will off gas for hours.

Last edited:
Are you loading North-South or East-West?

If you are loading NS (from front to back) try turning things sideways and burning EW to slow things down.

Key to not having it run to the moon is to load E/W or if loading N/S load it tight. Don't leave air paths from the front to the back between splits. If you leave those paths between splits about 30 minutes into the load the heat blowing through them to the back start charring the back end of the splits and all hell breaks loose.

Thanks for all the input. I usually burn NS. Easy loading. I did some EW burning and wasn't too fond of it but I will give it a shot again.

As for wood, I burn mostly oak, hickory, sugar maple, some elm and hackberry. It could be a bit dryer, it usually MM 20% on the harder wood, if I burn a good mix it does well.

It is worth trying it again in this colder weather, especially when reloading on more/hotter coals, as is often the case this time of year.

Also, make sure you rake those coals towards the front of the stove before reloading, regardless of the direction.

Hey thanks to everyone who helped our on this. I wanted to report back my findings. I switched back to bring east west and ended up blocking off 1/3 of the secondary square opening. This has resulted in longer more even burns with the surface temps between 550-650 on average. I find this range very satisfactory. Thanks again for everyones help.

Reactions: pen
Status
Not open for further replies.