Need some opinions.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FaithfulWoodsman

Minister of Fire
Nov 17, 2015
Geographic Center of Ohio
Finishing some work at a clients house today and have looked at the lay downs across the street that have been there a couple years. Can't tell who owns it so I chose the closest drive and decided to ask. it's a shared drive. Guy at the first house tells me the other guy owns it, but has left for Florida and he looks after his prop in winter. Tells me the ones in front were ash and prob no longer good, but stuff up by his house aep just cut this fall and said he'd have no problem with me taking it. walk up and see tons of cut piles. Beech, elm I'm not taking, ash, red oak and shagbark. Told him I'd take a good amount. Deff taking the red oak, but will be short on space soon. Gonna try and fit the beech in too. Question is should I take the hickory? I've heard a lot of people talk about how Hickory's may rot or are very prone to bug infestation, is this true of shagbarks? just wondering if it's worth trying to fit it in especially if it can draw the bugs to my wood stacks. Thoughts?

Finishing some work at a clients house today and have looked at the lay downs across the street that have been there a couple years. Can't tell who owns it so I chose the closest drive and decided to ask. it's a shared drive. Guy at the first house tells me the other guy owns it, but has left for Florida and he looks after his prop in winter. Tells me the ones in front were ash and prob no longer good, but stuff up by his house aep just cut this fall and said he'd have no problem with me taking it. walk up and see tons of cut piles. Beech, elm I'm not taking, ash, red oak and shagbark. Told him I'd take a good amount. Deff taking the red oak, but will be short on space soon. Gonna try and fit the beech in too. Question is should I take the hickory? I've heard a lot of people talk about how Hickory's may rot or are very prone to bug infestation, is this true of shagbarks? just wondering if it's worth trying to fit it in especially if it can draw the bugs to my wood stacks. Thoughts?
Try splitting a hickory round first to see if it's still good. It rots quickly and if the tree was standing dead it might already be going bad. If it's still OK and you decide to take it then you should split it as soon as you can. I haven't noticed any bug problems but I've got pignut--not sure how much it differs from shagbark.

Reactions: FaithfulWoodsman
I got a shag bark 2 years ago that was on the ground, all limbs, for 2 years before I got it and was solid all the way out. If it was me I would get the hickory first. Bugs mine has been in my racks for 2 years and I can not tell any difference in the bugs at all. Get after it.

Get the shag bark. Not only is it a very high BTU wood, but it puts on a great show in the fire box. It ain't fun to split though.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I would take the hickory but I would definitely speak to the fellow that actually owns the wood before I took any of it.

Reactions: Jeffm1
I would definitely speak to the fellow that actually owns the wood before I took any of it.
Yeah. I asked about that. He said the owner said he could have all of it. The guy i talked to only burns outdoors and has what he wants, so he said basically I'm giving it to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.