need splitter purchase advice

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dunragit said:
Rented a 28 ton huskee today, I am definitely going to need a gas splitter. The Huskee struggled with some of the elm and oak.

No way! Are you kidding me???
You sure you had the piece of wood placed correctly?
All the 22 ton huskee owners are going to take offense at that remark!!

yooperdave said:
But I sure would like someone to try one of these. Maybe, seeing it is a smaller piece of wood, the splitter would last a bit longer.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200394095_200394095
+1
Given that the rounds are only 10" one could really get some speed out that puppy. No need to wait on the ram to return for the next round, just set it on the other side and split it on the return stroke. Also, with the narrow wedge, it would slice through stringy Elm rather that tear it apart like a thck wedge does.

yooperdave said:
Dunragit said:
Rented a 28 ton huskee today, I am definitely going to need a gas splitter. The Huskee struggled with some of the elm and oak.

No way! Are you kidding me???
You sure you had the piece of wood placed correctly?
All the 22 ton huskee owners are going to take offense at that remark!!

I dare say that the unit had a lot of hours on it. I sure loved the working height. That thing really saved my back! I was sore from standing eight hours but not like I would have been from using a maul!

LLigetfa said:
yooperdave said:
But I sure would like someone to try one of these. Maybe, seeing it is a smaller piece of wood, the splitter would last a bit longer.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200394095_200394095
+1
Given that the rounds are only 10" one could really get some speed out that puppy. No need to wait on the ram to return for the next round, just set it on the other side and split it on the return stroke. Also, with the narrow wedge, it would slice through stringy Elm rather that tear it apart like a thck wedge does.

After using a one-way I figure it is fast enough. 20 plus inch diameter rounds take time to reposition. I looked at the powerhorse 20 ton last week, the welds look terrible.
You may be right about it cutting instead of splitting though.

Thanks

CK-1 said:
Looking to split 10" rounds?.. what is you come across some wood thats bigger in the future?...

10" bucked not diameter

Status
Not open for further replies.