Need suggestions on this round fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

R1campr

Jan 2, 2017
Sw ohio
Hi all, I have a round wood burning fireplace, or indoor fire pit. Am going to try and post pics. It was built with the house in 1972. I've been trying to identify what brand of stove pipe and class A chimney pipe it has. I believe the chimney pipe is Selkirk because it has ring clamps between peices. The black stove pipe is single wall 10" diameter, I can't find a brand like it.
Connecting the stove pipe to the chimney pipe is a piece of galvanized pipe, outside of the stove pipe and inside the chimney pipe. Also the stove pipe is 11inches away from where it passes near the loft floor. I know these things aren't up to code. I've been trying to find options to remedy this stuff. We had a certified chimney sweep look at it a few years ago and they wouldn't work on it unless we replaced the fireplace with a stove. Because the fireplace doesnt have glass around it, just screen.
Some options I am concidering is using class A down past the loft floor, if what there is now is in fact Selkirk brand class A chimney pipe. We like the look of the black pipe, so if we have to use chimney pipe, can it be painted black if we go with the galvanized exterior pipe?
I havent found much in the way of 10" diameter stove pipe parts. I would need a stove pipe dripless adapter to the chimney pipe and a heat sheild to fit 10" diameter pipe at the very least. I can't seem to find these parts, not sure if they are even made.
Another option (and probably safest) is changing to 8" diameter double wall pipe, but the exhaust for the hood is 10", is there a reducer out there that would work for this? The flu/ancor pipe is female on top.

. We've occasionally used this fireplace for 14 years and really like the openess of it, and dont want to change it to a stove. Another option for the fireplace is making a frame for glass panels and doors, would I have to use ceramic glass? And is it possible to get curved glass?
Need suggestions on this round fireplace Need suggestions on this round fireplace

Any info or suggestion would be greatly appreciated.
Rick

11" to the loft would be fine with double wall pipe...problem being I don't believe you can find 10"double wall stove pipe. I could be wrong but I also don't think galvanized pipe is rated for direct vent with wood as your fuel source so this takes away that option for interior use. And I am also guessing you might have draft problems dropping down to 8" pipe with that being an open fireplace. I'm sure the professionals will chime in soon. Good luck.

A heat shield could be attached to the stove pipe on spacers. That would reduce the clearance next to the loft railing. This may need to be custom made due to the large diameter of the pipe. It would need to cover only half of the stove pipe on the side facing the railing.

A heat shield could be attached to the stove pipe on spacers. That would reduce the clearance next to the loft railing. This may need to be custom made due to the large diameter of the pipe. It would need to cover only half of the stove pipe on the side facing the railing.
I can find 10" dia. pipe, just not the brand I have. Will probably make a heat shield out of it if I dont use class A down past the loft floor. Either way, I have to find an adapter pipe and connector that will work with both the stove pipe and chimney pipe.

I can't really help with your question but love your fireplace!

Glass would be cool if I can figure out how to retro fit it to my fireplace, that may take some time. I've seen many pics of these with curved glass. Some slide and some have doors.
One day can make the glass custom for you, I would think they could make anything you need. Of course custom means cost too I'm sure.