Need this tree gone

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Got it. Yours were done by a hack with a chainsaw, a rope, and a truck. Those kind work cheaply, and as long as it's an easy job and they get lucky, it's all good.

Real tree companies don't work that way.

I see! So, based on one picture you know better what hazards are present, how much room there is, etc., than the guy who lives there.

Makes sense to me.

$650 for that job is dirt cheap. I'd be checking references and insurance very carefully at that price.
I got quotes from 2 reputable and long time contractors in the area. Both have done work with the public works department where I work. Both do work for municipalities and power companies in the area. I didn't even bother with any contractor without the equipment to do this. The 2nd gave a quote to clean the brush and cut the tree to 18" logs, although all I asked was that they get the tree down. Their price was $1140. Still, a fair price for the work he quoted. I cut the logs, cleaned the brush and cleaned up in about 3 hours. Brush is still on my truck.

I asked the guy on the ground the height of the boom. Upper and lower book are 30' each and he had the pedestal up about 10', so, counting the height of the man in the bucket, and the crew get left to the top of the branches, the tree was about 80' tall.

Got it. Yours were done by a hack with a chainsaw, a rope, and a truck. Those kind work cheaply, and as long as it's an easy job and they get lucky, it's all good.

Real tree companies don't work that way.

I see! So, based on one picture you know better what hazards are present, how much room there is, etc., than the guy who lives there.

Makes sense to me.

$650 for that job is dirt cheap. I'd be checking references and insurance very carefully at that price.
I got quotes from 2 reputable and long time contractors in the area. Both have done work with the public works department where I work. Both do work for municipalities and power companies in the area. I didn't even bother with any contractor without the equipment to do this. The 2nd gave a quote to clean the brush and cut the tree to 18" logs, although all I asked was that they get the tree down. Their price was $1140. Still, a fair price for the work he quoted. I cut the logs, cleaned the brush and cleaned up in about 3 hours. Brush is still on my truck.

I asked the guy on the ground the height of the boom. Upper and lower book are 30' each and he had the pedestal up about 10', so, counting the height of the man in the bucket, and the crew get left to the top of the branches, the tree was about 80' tall.

Power company won't touch it until it's on their lines. I might check with the insurance company. It is, after all, in their best interest to get it on the ground. If it falls on it's own, it's taking out something(s).
It depends on your power company. I trim for local 17 in detroit And all we do for ten hours a day on fridays and saturdays. You need to call them and ask for the forestry division. No garentees but it depends on where you live

It depends on your power company. I trim for local 17 in detroit And all we do for ten hours a day on fridays and saturdays. You need to call them and ask for the forestry division. No garentees but it depends on where you live
I've checked that before. Had a big white birch dead and leaning out toward the power lines. The power company told me to call back when it falls on the power lines. The damned thing defied gravity and fell on my truck.

Had one the power company told me the same thing on. Told them it was coming down if I had to do it myself and their transformer was twenty feet away and they could look up the record of the last time I dropped one on their lines.

The crew and boom truck showed up two days later.

Reactions: barmstrong2
Of course, the boom want straight up. It's at an angle, so, Bunyons 70' was pretty damned close!

See? You're no better at estimating heights than I am! ;lol

I've taken to cheating. I measure the distance and the angle and get our old friend Pythagoras to help me out.

Status
Not open for further replies.