Need thoughts and opinions on Econoburn 150 install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Huskurdu

Jun 10, 2008
Southwestern NY
I've just purchased a used (less than a year old) Econoburn 150 and am currently in the process of installing it. Several questions.....I've got a 110' run of pex to my existing gas boiler. I'm thinking of putting in full 1" ID pex with no O2 barrier. I've been told that since it's not going in concrete it won't matter....thoughts?
Also, i've tried to move the lever that cleans the coils in the back and it won't really move. The instructions say to pull the back panel and remove the 1/4" plate....but that means I need to remove the insulation that wraps the water tank/combustion area. Any thoughts on this also?

Before you spend allot of time trying to free up the tabulator plates in the 2'' heat exchanger tubes , you may have better luck moving them after you finish the install and fire it up to operating temperature . I think you will only have to cut the insulation in the upper back of the boiler if the boiler was never serviced by the original owner . Also make sure you use pex with the oxygen barrier . Try to keep you boiler water as oxygen free and naturalized as possible .
Anthony

Huskur- did you buy Dale Q's used Econoburn? Just wondering, as it's the only used one I've heard of that was for sale in the Northeast.

Definitely only expect to "wrack" the turbulator cleaner lever once it is hot; when I looked at new ones, even the new ones would not move and the manual says only to expect to move them when the thing is fired up and running.

Anthony D said:
Before you spend allot of time trying to free up the tabulator plates in the 2'' heat exchanger tubes , you may have better luck moving them after you finish the install and fire it up to operating temperature . I think you will only have to cut the insulation in the upper back of the boiler if the boiler was never serviced by the original owner . Also make sure you use pex with the oxygen barrier . Try to keep you boiler water as oxygen free and naturalized as possible .
Anthony

Thanks for the response. I will button it back up tonight and won't mess with it until I've had a chance to fire it. I hope to have it running by Sep 1st. I will also make sure that I use the O2 barrier pex. I'm having a heck of a time finding it. The Zurn 1" pex is considerably smaller that 1" ID. I'm going to find the right pex today.......I hope.

pybyr said:
Huskur- did you buy Dale Q's used Econoburn? Just wondering, as it's the only used one I've heard of that was for sale in the Northeast.

Definitely only expect to "wrack" the turbulator cleaner lever once it is hot; when I looked at new ones, even the new ones would not move and the manual says only to expect to move them when the thing is fired up and running.

Thank you also for the quick response. I did buy Dale's Econoburn. It's in good condition and he, and his wife, were really nice. He was considerably oversized for his house. The unit shows a lot of creosote build up probably because of it being shut down most of the time. I should be able to run it at full capacity most of the time. Hopefully I'll be able to do some heat storage a few years down the road.

Status
Not open for further replies.