Need to build a shed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chrisasst

Minister of Fire
Aug 13, 2008
cortland ny
I really need to get a shed of some kind built to hold my pellets. Any one have experience in this? Can't really find any decent plans online. How about a price tag....

Talk to your local lumber yard, they should have a kit that comes in different sizes. The big box stores ( HD, Lowes, Menards) will have kits to, but your local yard might be easier if you need help. The kits don't come precut, so you will need to use a skillsaw, tape measure, square, hammer. Good luck
Doug

Just a quick note if you do it your self or not, make sure the floor system can support that kind of load. If you buy a kit or have someone build one for you be sure to tell them you are looking to put that load on the floor. Even better since you are planning on storing multiple tons would be a concrete floor

If you get a chance, hit up the "search" function. I did about a month ago and found a few dozen threads with some really good pics and even better links. Shed building commences once the weather breaks and i've got a folder of goodies on my home computer thanks to Hearth.com.

I built a 12x14 for under 900 bucks with a pressure treated floor 12' on center 2x8's and 3/4"pt and 24" on center 2x4's for walls and wonder board to cover, pre made trusses from local lumber yard were 18 bucks a piece. came out nice and hold 5-6 tons of pellets. Its simpel and plans are not needed..

If I was going to build storage for pellets, I'd want room for at least a year's worth + 2 tons left over from the year before. I'd want to be able load+unload the shed with at bare minimum a pallet jack or at best a loader w/forks.

Do you have your pellets delivered? If so, I would want the deliverer to be able to set and forget. Breaking down 50 bags to move them 2-10 feet is something that gets really old. For this setup I'd want long and thin, with big barn doors that include the gable end so the pallet jack/loader could drive right in and set down.

But this is of course a wish list. If you're heating with pellets to save money a $10,000 shed is headed in the wrong direction.

Status
Not open for further replies.