Need to upgrade, overnite burns

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MDWOOD

Nov 11, 2013
maryland
Hi all I live in Maryland in an old farmhouse. We have been burning over two years and have a good supply of wood on the property.

I have a small tsc stove, a us stove 1000 1.3 cu/ft. The stove does ok and where its situated in the living room
near the staircase it heats the second floor and our huge bedroom in the attic.

we have a 30 ft class a chimney thru wall and up past the roof.

We never turn the oil furnace on anymore

We could definitely use the extra heat and longer burn times, the best we can get out of our us stove maybe 4 hrs.

I woke up at 4 am this morning to 59 degrees after filling the box around 10 pm last night at 73 degree.

Here is the thing i built a raised hearth out of 2x4s wrapped in 1/2 durock and 18x18 porcelain.
This has served us well so far. it is 36 wide and 52 deep

Ive looked at some stoves but the misses wont let me bring the stove further out from the wall, but i could go a little wider (don't tell her)

anybody have a good recommendation for a quality stove that will suit our needs?

Bill

Budget? Are looks a concern? Square footage of area you're heating?

LOTS of options, but those things might help narrow down the list :)

Off the top of my head without looking at mfg's specs for clearances...Blaze King Sirocco/Chinook/Ashford might work, I think they all require ember only hearth pads and I don't know what the R-value of durarock has so I'm sticking with those three from them. You can also look at the Endeavor or Republic 1750 from Lopi, both should fit your hearthpad no problem (You need a 4 1/2" rear clearance with double wall pipe for them, I think my stove is 29" deep and you need 16" front clearance so that's well within specs).

Jotul Oslo owner here. Oslo puts out about 70,000 BTU's, 2.2+/- cu ft firebox, heats approx. 2,000 sq ft. I get decent burn times....Overnight burns are good too, My last loads are usually all oak and I have some good size coals for restarts in the am. My home is a bit drafty so my temps are not where I'd like them in the morning but I'm happy with it so far. My daytime burns at 1/2 air, I get about 6-8 hours, stove top temps are around 400-475 consistently. Reload temps are around 300 deg with a decent bed of coals.

For an overnight burn you usually need a stove with a firebox size of at least 2 cu ft or a catalytic stove. The question is if that would be enough heating capacity for your place or if you want to go larger. How many sqft. do you want to heat? How is your insulation? Average temps during winter? What kind of wood are you burning? To get an idea of your budget would be good, too.

Your hearth has a r-value of 0.4 (http://chimneysweeponline.com/horvalue.htm) so you would be looking at stoves that need less or ember protection only. The standard hearth requirement is 16" clearance form the front of the door. That leaves you with 36" of depth for the stove and clearance to the wall. How is the wall constructed? A stove that would fit is the Pacific Energy Super. It has a 2 cu ft firebox, gets burns of 8 hours, sometimes more, and is generally well-liked here. I have the insert model and I am very satisfied.

Welcome to the forum Bill.

A bit more information on your home would be helpful. Also perhaps a limit on the budget would be helpful. For sure you want more than a 2 cu ft stove but to give you an idea, with our 2.2 cu ft Woodstock Fireview we have no problems getting 10-12 hours of good heat and we keep our home temperature at 80 or above all winter.

Reactions: lopiliberty
Thanks all for the reply's,

Our house is 180 years old, 9 foot ceilings blown in insulation balloon framing.
unfinished basement total sq/ft 1800

Were we live we get a lot of wind, the elevation is high for Maryland and there is a huge open field across the road to the NW

Modern or tradition on the stoves looks were open,budget is under 1500

The stove room is the living room on the first floor (300 s/f or so), their is an adjacent dining room with a big pocket double door only 10 feet from the stove and that room is cooler than the stove room.
The kitchen is cooler and we don't think the addition (another20x20) could ever benefit much.

The staircase is by the front door in living room and you can feel the heat just rising up there, always toasty.
seems as if the warm are rises well and heats the upstairs.

2nd floor bedrooms (3-150 sq/ft rooms) have transoms, bathroom at end of hall has electric heatmat under the tiles.

Our bedroom is in the attic its large and lots of windows maybe 400 s/f

Bill

Modern or tradition on the stoves looks were open,budget is under 1500

Two options with this budget:
1. Go with one of the lower cost steel stoves, like a larger US Stove that you are running. There are several out there. I would go with something in the 2.2-2.5 cu ft. The Englander 30 can be had for $800 delivered, but that is a 3.5 cu ft stove. Seems a bit large for your needs if the 1.3 cu ft stove is producing enough heat, just not long enough.

2. Purchase a used stove. You can easily get most stoves used with enough time and searching while staying within your budget.

Last edited:
Yes, with the budget that low you will be somewhat limited.

Also keep in mind what BB said above about the Englander. That stove can be in your range and they also make a smaller stove but you have to reach a decision based on firebox size along with what you want to spend. Some stoves will seem to give more heat for their firebox size than others but also remember that the really big factor there is the wood you are burning. And to keep within your budget you may be forced into the smaller firebox size and for this you still get some good heat but will have shorter burn times. The larger fireboxes will give you the longer burn times which are easier to live with.

Status
Not open for further replies.