Need wire from blower to temp switch. What type to use?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

777funk

Sep 12, 2014
MO
The temperature/thermal switch on our stove needs some new wire (and a new switch while I'm at it). What type of wire should I be using?

I assume 120F would be a good kick in for the blower on the cat stove?

Doing snap-switch/blower work on a different stove last year; I used 14ga stranded copper wire. The blower doesn't have very much current draw so 14ga seemed sufficient. (2-3A at startup?)

Thanks! I'm sure 14 AWG should cover it. I think my motor draws only 3A so that's more than good. But I'm wondering about the insulation temp rating since it's on the stove and I wouldn't want it to melt. Seems like the old wire had some kind of fabric (or maybe fiberglass) insulation.

I don't know the official name, but that convoluted flexible metal conduit stuff is what I ran it through.

Seems like the old wire had some kind of fabric (or maybe fiberglass) insulation

Was the wire more like steel than copper and the strands heavier than what you'd expect?
If so it's a special high heat wire, the insulation is rated at 200 degrees celcius.

We use it at work, on high temperature heaters. It is the same wire that is in your oven.

Up in Canada, it is called SEW wire.

Very high temp. rating. (200C)

Reactions: Fake coal burner
Go to applience repeair shop ask for oven tempture wire 14 gauge high temputure. Tell them how much you need 2 strans they will cut of bulk wire roll and conecters.

Status
Not open for further replies.