Need your thoughts...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shawneyboy

Minister of Fire
Oct 5, 2010
NE PA
I normally do NOT buy my wood but..... I saw this ad... $650 for a truckload.... what do you think ??? Should I jump on it ?

I have 5 tri-axle loads of hardwood polewood coming off a logging job this month . Free delivery to your location within 50 miles . Buy one or all .
All oak , Recently cut , small precentage of dead wood.

Attachments

• truck.jpg
    truck.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 604
  • truck 1.jpg
    truck 1.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 606
Well, the oak is nice, but hard to say without knowing the volume. I'd guess you'd have at least 5 cord, probably more, on that truck - so....worst case scenario = a little over $125/cord - perhaps a little high for log length, but not terrible. Now, if that is an 8 cord load or something close, I'd jump - particularly if you think you'll have a tough time scrounging in the next couple years, or if you are tiring of scrounging and just need a break. Cheers!

That is a nice way to cut up firewood. No limbing to do. No brush to take care of, etc. You have to determine the value depending upon what wood is selling for in your area. Bear in mind that it is oak, so it will not be ready to burn next winter. If you have room to store it, then it is better than money in the bank.

Tri axles like that around here are 8 cord. Recent prices I got were $100 to 120 per cord.Buy two loads and sell some to get yours almost free.

Will

was told it is between 8-9 cord..... still gotta decide what to do.

Shawn

At 8 cords - I would probably pull the trigger. For me, time is my enemy. I wish somebody would come up with a 28 hour day.

Jags said:
At 8 cords - I would probably pull the trigger. For me, time is my enemy. I wish somebody would come up with a 28 hour day.

Still not enough, I need 30+.

shawneyboy said:
was told it is between 8-9 cord..... still gotta decide what to do.

Shawn

If I had a decent saw and splitter, I would be all over that as well....of course, I can see my wifes face now with the truck backing downt he driveway " beeep, beeep, beeep" :)

smokinjay said:
Jags said:

Still not enough, I need 30+.

Tell me about it...My motto is "Tommorow" What I cant finish today gets moved to the next day.

Getting a log load is kind of like the middle ground between buying split wood and scrounging. I have been able to get years ahead with scrounging and not buying any wood, so for me it wouldnt be worth it. However, if I wasnt then buying a load like this would be the next step. Each situation if different.

I got my first log load this week. Ask yourself these questions -

If I scrounge how much would I spend in gas, time, advil, and truck dents?
Is that gas, time, advil, and truck dents worth more or less than $90 a cord to me?

Your personality, finances, and priorities in life will result in the answer for YOU.

Around here large scores of free oak are very difficult to find, so I'd spend a lot of time getting partial truckloads. I can get free silver maple or white pine easliy, but I need to split, stack, carry, and load 50% more wood with those species. I bought because I came to the conclusion it was best for ME to scrounge the shoulder season wood and pay for the mid-season oak to be dropped in my yard.

I think that's a good way to look at it. You bough tgoos quality. You are able to bank on what you have and make decisions on what to scrounge from a position of strength and flexibility.

When I NEEDED a stove, and NEEDED wood I ended up laying brick, installing, cutting, splitting, etc... until late at night because I didn't have a better way to stay warm. Now I'm well ahead and rarely haul wood more than a few miles. I even give some loads away to if it's late in the day, or plans change and I want the truck empy in a hurry.

Me relatives bought loads like that when I was young. I had to buck them, IIRC the 'splitter man' didn't like bucking.

Good luck with it,
Mike

Send him my way, 45 miles from poconos and will buy a load for that price. 3 years ago I paid 600 for a triaxle load of mixed hardwood. in total just under 7.5 cords.

A friend of mine sells log length wood, that on the truck is 8 cord or better. Helluva deal if you have the room to deal with it. Funny part of it is, he has an old white International 5200 just like that one.

Think of the future...........

Wood will probably get more expensive over the years, and the thought of getting a decent pile in now for the future seems like a great idea to me.

Future scrounging can then be done in a more leisurely way!

Of course, a whole shedload will probably be offered to you freely just after you take delivery.......... but that's life!!!!!!!!!!!!

local craigslist ad has 1500 square feet for 775.
about the same price as yours.

oak is about 225 a cord here "well seasoned"
I'm scratching my jaw, too.

Tricky business getting log length especially when some logs are not very big around. However there is alot to be said for "delivered". I have access to red oak U-cut $35 per cord (128 cu ft) but co-ordinating a cut time against the weather and the wifes plans and work and life gets a little more complicated. Logs on hand leave me a greater flexibility especially when I can cut to length easier than I can get "custom" cut. If you have the bucks maybe you could try to swing a deal for a couple of loads. Around here you can get full cords delivered c/s r oak/cherry/hickory for $150-170. A few of those and some scrounging can equal a winters heat.

I live in an Oak forest.... I can scrounge but I lost use (maybe) of the truck I was using for the scrounging. I guess I am just gonna have to decide..

PAguy.... check for PM about contact for this.

Shawn

Perhaps a neighbor or a buddy could split the load with you? $325 for 4 cords DELIVERED compared to the time and effort it takes to scrounge 4 cords (about a years worth for me) does not sound too bad. As previously stated, it depends on how much time (and room) YOU have. Im a cheap (thrifty)bastard, and dont typically pay for anything I can get for free, but I'm not as young as I used to be. Also, like DavesWoodHauler, the "beep,beep,beep' of that truck might mean BIG trouble for me with the Boss ( and we ALL know who THAT is). :p

I just put in an order for a logging load of paper birch (which is as good as firewood gets around here) to be delivered in June. The trees were cut a year ago. Gas prices just jumped 40 cents a gallon here last week, and that means the price of everything is going to hurtle skywards. I figured I'd better pull the trigger, and only found one person selling logging loads now. It's a 9+ cord load, and I'm paying a base price of 1700, plus whatever damage the gas prices do to it. Then I've got to get a saw, and build a woodshed. That will be a bad time of the year for hand-splitting, so I may have to rent a splitter.

The driver told me it's a load that's 48' long and 30' wide when it's dumped. That means it goes in my driveway, which means until we've got that wood processed, the circular drive won't be. I can leave enough room at one end to manuver into the garage, which means we have to get a water delivery first, and then work with concentration to get that done.

While some of you may have choked on their morning coffee reading the above, for me it's a sweet deal. I figure I'll burn four to five cords a winter. If I budget out three cords of birch, and supplement with two cords of standing dead poplar from my property each year, I've got three years of warm there, and breathing room for getting more wood at a more leisurely pace, and maybe to wait and see if oil prices will drop.

My 30 y.o. Toy p.u. still has enough life left in it to wander the property gathering what's here to harvest. It doesn't have enough umph left to make 40 mile trips for 9 cords of runs.

If I replace my boiler, and fill the fuel tanks, I'd have at least four years of warm there, maybe five, just using the fuel oil to fill in around the edges. I calculate that would cost me about $1100 a year to heat this house. I'm calculating $4 a gallon for fuel oil, which I think is conservative over the next four years. If I just went with fuel oil, it would be about $3400 a year to heat the house.

I have the month of June off, and a light schedule in July. My kids will be out of school then. It'll be a tough week or two of work, but then it's over, and barring theft or wildfire, I'm set.

Many years ago, I worked construction in the oilfields of Prudhoe Bay. I remember a man from New Orleans saying to me, "Life's easy, isn't it? Except for this?" and he swirled his hand around taking in the Atco unit cafeteria, the tired workers, the swirling storm outsdie. He had family and friends in NO, and married the daughter of a wealthy man--he came north to work because it was sport and fun and easy money for him. I smiled and looked at the abundent shelter, food, warmth that only required our going outside and working hard for 10 hours or so a day, seven days a week and said, "This is as easy as it gets for me." Each of our worlds were unfathomable to one another. All things are relative.

Those of you who have access to oak (to burn! fancy that!) and live in more forgiving climates, use a different set of numbers to make these decisions. If I had a shot at that logging truck load of oak, I'd jump on it, and 100 people would be standing in line in front of me. Should you? Weigh, balance, calculate. I get such a kick out of learning how other people, near and far, live with fire, heat with wood. Armchair travelling.

Wood-fan-atic, congratulations on the upgrade in domestic arrangements! Perhaps ex- will return the favor and take in the 13 y.o. until he turns 15.

Status
Not open for further replies.