needless damage to firelight CB

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dexter

Hearth Supporter
Aug 9, 2007
Boulder County, CO
'Cleaned my stove: took off the flue collar, took of the top, 'swept, ash-vacced, cleaned the pipe, the chimney, checked the fire brick (yes, this one has firebrick), etc.

'Moved the stove slightly, adjusted the telescoping pipe, and reset it into the collar. I had to drill new bolt holes in the base of the stove pipe. I am an idiot. I used the wrong bit-size when using the collar holes as a guide. Stripped out the threads on one of the flue collar holes, and now the bolt just slips in. Crap.

I wonder if furnace mortar will hold that side permanently enough to get through the season. The other side of the collar is fine.

With embarrasment:

Dexter.

I'm at work, and can't post photo: the cast flue collar (venting vertically, in this case) has two bolt holes and bolts to secure the stove pipe. It probably doesn't need them really, except in cases of puff-back, which is not a problem with this installation. They are sizeable bolts though -- perhaps 3/16" -- which requires drilling the stove pipe beforeto attaching to the collar.

Ahh and you ran the bit through the cast collar? I would not worry about it personally, we never used the bolts with double wall pipe. We kept the tension on the stove by fixing the telescope with screws so that the pipe had zero play to move up.

Yeah, I think I'll daub a little stove mortar in the hole and set the bolt in, just to make it look symetrical and to prevent it from sucking in room air. The telescope setting is drilled and screwed, so there is no "play". Thanks.

Dexter

ps: Where, approximately, are you, MountainStove Guy? We burn a 1918 QuickMeal cook stove near Tabernash.

MountainStoveGuy said:
Ahh and you ran the bit through the cast collar? I would not worry about it personally, we never used the bolts with double wall pipe. We kept the tension on the stove by fixing the telescope with screws so that the pipe had zero play to move up.

I find it amusing, or maybe troubling, that some folks claim that the stove collar bolts are absolutely critical and others realize that the slip joint holds things in place. I don't have any bolts on the collar, can't really do it with double wall pipe hiding the holes.

yea, or local inspectors do not care as long as the pipe has three screws in it. Most stoves i sell do not even have flue collar bolts for pipe.

Dexter said:
'Cleaned my stove: took off the flue collar, took of the top, 'swept, ash-vacced, cleaned the pipe, the chimney, checked the fire brick (yes, this one has firebrick), etc.

'Moved the stove slightly, adjusted the telescoping pipe, and reset it into the collar. I had to drill new bolt holes in the base of the stove pipe. I am an idiot. I used the wrong bit-size when using the collar holes as a guide. Stripped out the threads on one of the flue collar holes, and now the bolt just slips in. Crap.

I wonder if furnace mortar will hold that side permanently enough to get through the season. The other side of the collar is fine.

With embarrasment:

Dexter.

I'm pretty sure the flue collars on the Jotuls are an M6 thread - not sure what pitch.
If you want have the added security of fastening your connector to the flue collar,
there are two ways to go...- tap a new thread or reach in from the inside & put a nut
on the end of the bolt you have...
You should be able to do it by removing the baffle plate.
You may be able to reach down inside the connector to do it, too...

Dexter said:

With embarrasment:

Dexter.

firebrick? since when did they have firebrick? are you sure its not an f500 oslo?

Status
Not open for further replies.