Nervous??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Henz

Mar 23, 2006
Northville, NY
Well, by this time we should all have our wood sheds/piles full and stacked. I have 4 cord dry and waiting. This will be my third season burning and can you belive it I have no idea how many cord I really need! I believe tht I had 5 last year and was left with around 1.5 leftover. This year I have 4 cord. I hope I make it! Anyone else just alittle nervous?

Nah, there's always the furniture and flooring :) .

I had three cords but got one more "just in case". This will be my first year as a wood burner and I don't want to get caught short. I also have about a cord of older leftover rounds that I could split and tap into if need be.

BeGreen said:
Nah, there's always the furniture and flooring :) .

LOL! Someone I know that went through a serious period of bipolar mania found out that he used a chainsaw to get his sofa into pieces that he could drag outside himself... from the livingroom.

My only worry is that it will never stop raining... and my wood pile will be rain soaked for all eternity. I won't curse myself by expounding on the fleeting weather of today.

3.5 cord is about normal for a lot of people I think.

ok, so I hope that since I have 4 full cord I will be ok! this will be my test year. Sicne this is the first year that I have actually stacked it in two sections having 2 cord per section

Adirondackwoodburner said:
Well, by this time we should all have our wood sheds/piles full and stacked. I have 4 cord dry and waiting. This will be my third season burning and can you belive it I have no idea how many cord I really need! I believe tht I had 5 last year and was left with around 1.5 leftover. This year I have 4 cord. I hope I make it! Anyone else just alittle nervous?
A little bit :) I was told 2.5 cords should be right, so I have 3, but it's not well seasoned, which is what's making me a little nervous. I have maybe 1/4 cord that looks seasoned to me. Thinking about getting 2 pallets of bio bricks for peace of mind and ease of use on stormy days.

The hearthwise/smartlog guys are selling them now (in Mass), but they appear to be about 50% more expensive than BioBricks per pound, and I can't believe there's much difference between the two (per pound), given good reviews for both here. I have an email out to them now to find out how much one weighs. They're charging
$1.20 per smartlog (380 per pallet), plus delivery...

who told you 2.5 cords?

who told you 2.5 cords?
The people who sold me the stove, then the guy who sold me the first cord I bought estimated the same thing.

That's under the assumptions of (1) not trying to heat the second floor of the house (it's a separate oil-heat zone, and I'm not expecting it to get heated, but maybe it will anyway, and (2) that my wife will be unwilling to do anything at all with the stove, so it won't get loaded if I'm not home.

I'm considering that a lower bound on what I should get (can always use it next year, obviously), but also if I were to run out, I'd still have oil.. I wouldn't go cold. I pre-bought my oil anyway, under the assumption of 50-50 oil/wood heat during the winter for the reasons above.

I burned 3.5 last year....I have 4.25 cords for this year.
I have a bunch of pignut hickory and red oak from June 2007 that I cant wait to torch.

WoodButcher

the first year I owned my hosue we had no woodstove. Froze our a** off and paid a bundle in oil. Second year we bought the woodstove and burned wood. I was still shellshocked at the $3000 we spent in oil from the year before and I think we spent $250 the second year, but we were burning 24/7 and I basically turned the thermostat off. Last year we burned pre-dominatly wood but I did enjoy the oil furnace coming on jsut prior to me getting up in the morning and cycling and then having be set for a particular temp just prior to us coming home from work. programmable thermostats are a must.

i went through 12 cords last year, so i just cut every chance i get

12 cord. indoor woodstove??

12 cord. indoor woodstove??
Its a indoor furance and the quilty of wood I could get ahold of last season was poor at best. Cutting for my self this year,will see how it does this year!

WAS GONNa SAY,l thts way too much wood.

i am heating garge and house with is about 3000 sq ft and yes i was insulating all winter and plains for a little more in sept.

well thats a good size then

I burn between 4 and 5 - the last 3 years - same stove. I would scrounge another cord or dont if you know where to get some wood in the winter.

4 cord should suit me fine

I am looking to get the 3 year supply so i always have good season wood (thats my goal )

I don't see how you guys in New York and Mass. get by on three or four cords. How big are your homes?

Brother Bart told me to expect a cord a month and since he lives a few hundred miles away and has roughly the same climate, I took his advice.

He was right. Actually, I think I burnt a little more than that.

I have 2600 square hundred feet. It's a ranch and I keep two bedrooms closed off. Insulation is decent too, R-19 in the walls, around R-30 in the ceiling, and none in the floor.

I would be happy with a cord month!

I was talking to someone here on Long Island that burns 24-7. Last year he used just under 6 cords to heat his house.
I have 3 cords and Im looking into buying 2 more.

My off the cuff thought was 3 cords, after reading here,comparing BTU's, and considering I went through 3 cords last year just burning the FP !!

2000 SF, looking to heat about 1500 sq feet of it, the rest is an accessory apartment (550 SF) on it's own zone w/ the OHW.

After more research, and the house plan/layout at the dealer, the same 3 cords was reached. I'm up to 4 cords ready for this year, and STILL way more trees to go (scrub pine & oak). 4 are cut and down, 2 of which cut into 16" sections.

I also have 2 pines down for 2 years that need to be cut and split. I'm good for quite some time.

Long Island is weird. We can have brutal winters, and we can have mild winters like last year. I'd hedge on brutal, you'll be holding a royal flush if it gets nasty cold!!

Status
Not open for further replies.