New and have questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

WatsonsCT

Oct 27, 2018
Connecticut
First time home buyer, first time living in New England, first time owning any type of fireplace.

That in a nutshell is how I got into all this. My home has a gas lopi Sturbridge which was here when I bought it. The thermostat remote seems to work ok only thing is that even when it reaches the set temp it can still reach above the +/- 2 and keep going and not shut off for quite some time not hours but 30-45 min and be well above the temp setting .. I tried to relearn the remote and receiver and when I did the main burners switch was off and it still kicked on ... Im lost

First time home buyer, first time living in New England, first time owning any type of fireplace.

That in a nutshell is how I got into all this. My home has a gas lopi Sturbridge which was here when I bought it. The thermostat remote seems to work ok only thing is that even when it reaches the set temp it can still reach above the +/- 2 and keep going and not shut off for quite some time not hours but 30-45 min and be well above the temp setting .. I tried to relearn the remote and receiver and when I did the main burners switch was off and it still kicked on ... Im lost

Sounds like a relay that is sticking and failing to shut off the burner reliably.

That could be in the hand held unit, or in the receiver in the fireplace. Most likely in the fireplace would be my guess.

When the burner should be off, you could try tapping on the receiver with the handle of a table knife to see if that jogs loose the relay. Don't pound on it, just an effort to see if it will jog loose and shut off the burner.