New at this, need stovepipe advice please!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

davmag

Oct 1, 2008
central MA
We are completely new to wood burning........and we were given a free Vermont Castings Vigilant, probably about a 1980 edition. It still LOOKS terrific....we just put new gasket on the doors/door glass.....cleaned it all up nice.....excited to get things set up before it gets chilly out....and this is what we're wondering about:

The stove has an oval-shaped 8" flue collar. (Is that the right term? Where the stove pipe attaches to the stove?) We have a lovely spot to put the stove, an inside corner that is piped into a clay-lined brick chimney--there is a clay tile floor under, and brick walls in this corner, too. BUT the chimney thimble (again--correct term? where the pipe goes into the chimney?) is 6". Whilst searching online, I found a little blurb that said NOT to attach a Vermont Castings Vigilant with 8" opening to a 6" pipe. Why would this be? I've obviously noticed that there are pipes that are 8" on one end and 6" on the other, that would seem to be perfect to solve my problem.......but I don't want to do something dangerous.

I'd appreciate any advice anybody could give me. Thank you in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.