New auger. Questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dawg1419

Jan 10, 2014
Ga
I got a new auger yesterday. My old auger was set up with a set screw. The new auger has a cotter pen. Does my auger rod have to have a hole all the way thru it?? It only has one side drilled out. The motor has a hole all the way through it. I'm just for now using the set screw but the motor is turning hitting the fresh air intake. I had to zip tie it to stay off the fresh air intake. Auger is turning the same as the old one. Stove is a NPS45

Never saw a cotter pin on an auger shaft. I guess if it works on snowblowers it should be fine on a pellet auger. Where did you get the new auger from? Maybe they sent the wrong one? Maybe part of an upgrade?

Sorry no cotter(see photo). Got a new Gleason Avery from dealer.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422035868.928729.jpg

That's a hitch pin, much stronger than a cotter pin. Whether it's strong enough - I dunno...

Can you verify that they sent you the correct motor?

Yes it been running for 4 hrs now. I just reused the set screw. Just wondering how the hitch pin would work without a hole all the way thru the auger.

It probably wouldn't work without a through hole. As long as you're running and warm, it's all good!

Status
Not open for further replies.