NEW AVALON OLYMPIC

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Henz

Mar 23, 2006
Northville, NY
Being installed tomorrow morning. replacing my .5 year ol Rainier..Am excited! No more getting up at 3am to reload! (I hope).

yeah right..its sounds funny, but little thing s like getting a new stove go along way for me..I will miss my rainier though, I get attacehd to things liek that

Did you trade the Rainier in on the Olympic ?

yes, we had the Rainier installed this past summer.It has been burning since mid September but have not been happy with the length of burntime. THis is a highly debated topic but when it omes down to it, if the stove can hold almost 2x the fuel it is gonna burn longer period. The Rainier heated our house well enough but I would have to get up at 3am to reload the stove cause the temps in the house would be dropping to a point that was too low for our liking. hoping that the Olympic will get me through the night.. I was real lucky in that the dealer gave me full price back on the trade. so it cost me the $500 to upgrade and then an installation fee. I couldnt pass it up. I should have jsut gotten the bigger stove to begin with since our main objective is to burn wodd as our primary

Great deal on the trade in, sounds like an awesome dealerto do so. I'm sure you will be pleased with the upgrade. I think there are too many people buying too small of stove for there needs , it does break down into "extra heat " and "24/7 heat" on wood stove sizes as does all other details of the house and region. Keep the forum posted on your upgrade.

I sure will..One thing that I would already say is that when a dealer comes to your home and assesses the house for the stove, it is really important that you inform them of the insulation etc that the house has. My house is only 1450sqft, open style built in 1850..Its drafty and the hardwood floors are cold. 1/2 of the house is over a crawl space. the basement is not heated. The Rainier specked out as being the ideal stove..States that it will heat up to an 1800 sqft house. well it did, but on the really cold days it struggled and I was adding alot of wood. My point is, take all the factors into consideration and not just the recomended sqft that the stove should heat. I am sure that i will be more satisfied with the larger olympic..I will keep you posted in the weeks to come once I get it going and get used to it.

************ ;-) ******************

Good points to mention AWB.

Roosterboy bought an AVALON OLYMPIC and even took some video of the stove running, I guess he is happy with it but he is now on the welding forums, buying welding toys and other stuff , maybe he'll check in to up date on the stove too.

yeah, I actually PM's him a couple of times and he sounds like he is enjoying it.

why has it taken so long to do this?

???I have only had the Rainier for 4 months or so..Just had to make up my mind/decision on whether or not I want to continue on getting up at night or not.

oh
I thought when you PMed me about this you had it in the works

I guess I dont really remember when that was..but, the dealer has taken 3-4 weeks in orderto schedule due to their schedule

Sounds like you have other projects to button up that house. Good luck with your new bigger stove We expect a full report and pictures

thats more work~ been sealing off drafts and have made a big difference..been in the house for alittle over a year and have made substantial progress..the seller wasent quite as truthful as he made out to be. oh well, live and learn. We are getting there though..Now onto that crawl space...but that is posted on anotehr post.

Attached pic of current Rainier..

Attachments

• 100_1805.JPG
    100_1805.JPG
    100.2 KB · Views: 321
Here is the new olympic. Started a small kindling fire yesterday and then added a med split before bed. This morning got up at 5:15 and started another kindling fire and added two med splits prior to leaving for work. When I get home tonight I will start another fire and add three med splits for alittle hotter fire. Wont do a full fire until tomorrow night after another medium on in the morning..I woult think that I should be ok then.

Attachments

• Olympic_2.jpg
    Olympic_2.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 274
<In a deep voice>

BIG STOVE...............

Yeppers , that should do it . Oh , by the way ..... when burning that new big stove, if you leave your house windows open the other people living in New York would thank you for the extra heat.

********************* ;-) ***********************

yeah, well I hope it does the trick! Last night was my third progressive burn and this morning made it my 4th..I believe it is time....Time to get her a ripping tonight after work..! cant wait to see the difference

Status
Not open for further replies.