New Avalon Perfect Fit Plus... has anybody seen one yet?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
mhrischuk said:
And if that's the case I suppose the EPA test is only for emissions.

Everything else could be fairy tales. Unless you have your own way to measure BTU output, we just have to go by the experiences of others. That's not the best because those aren't controlled conditions.

Firebox size and efficiency will determine the maximum btu output relatively close. But there are still variables like the wood and how the stove is run. And there are design differences. Some inserts are designed to convect naturally better than others for example. Some have better heat exchange systems or warm up a bit more quickly. Some have more effective or quieter blower systems or a better long term track record of service. That is where reading reviews and reports on the stove are helpful.

Another thing to note, there are smaller companies that don't have a large dealer network in the US that make good stoves. We don't see as many reports on Enviro, Enerzone or Kuuma, but from what I've read reported here, they make good products and have very satisfied owners.

One I would consider for this spot is the Jotul C550 Rockland. Excuse the crude Photoshop job, but here is the idea.

Attachments

• 0001c550.jpg
    0001c550.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 488
Sure does. Thanks for the photoshop. I do like the larger viewing glass of the Clydesdale though. Somebody tell me why I shouldn't get the Clydesdale for $3100 in Brown Porcelain. I was told by another dealer that I should jump on that as list is $3900 and $3100 is close to cost.

I already told you that you should buy it :)

Lets compare the Jotul 550 Rockland CF and the Clydesdale. ... which is overall better of the two?

The Rockland has a little bit bigger fire box but not much and since you already have the Equinox for the other side of your house I think the Clyde would work out just fine. They both look great and I never heard any major complaints about either. It also sounds like you found another great deal on Clyde so I'd prolly jump on it while you can. Does that price include installation and liner kit?

Todd said:
Does that price include installation and liner kit?

I wished. He did give me the whole month of July to decide. He says he has two dozen in stock.

BeGreen said:
They do, the Lopi Liberty.

Liberty is hard pressed to fit a 16" split N/S. Zap cuts most of his wood 15 and change to fit N/S, I have near 15 cords cut in the 17" range and refuse to cut a little off each one. :) If the firebox was as deep as my Endeavor I'd probably have one in my family room.

mhrischuk said:
Todd said:
Does that price include installation and liner kit?

I wished. He did give me the whole month of July to decide. He says he has two dozen in stock.

Sounds like you are going through the same situation as I am. I am considering the Clydesdale vs the Jotul 550, probably the CB since the dealer doesn't have the CF. However, I am getting a sweet deal on the Jotul but still like the look of the Clydesdale more.

I realize this is a bit irreverent and more than a bit irrelevant, but does that name strike anyone else as a major gaffe in marketing? Perfect-fit Plus sounds like chubby-lady pantyhose to me. When a person sinks that much money into a wood stove or insert, they want a name that resonates, not one that sounds like it was sold in the incontinence-products aisle in the grocery store.

But the UFO landing lights look kinda cool, in an abstract, tiny-little-space-aliens-are-about-to-disembark-on-my-hearth sort of way.

Alright, wandering off and allowing this discussion to revert to a more mature tone now . . .

mhrischuk said:
I'm interested in the contemporary look. It so new no one has it in the showroom yet.
Any up front critique?

My first quote was 3200.

Did that quote include the shipping? I got quoted today $3,600 (inc shipping), was told retail was $4k, also i need a wider then normal back plate since my opening is 42", was told that may be a bit extra.

Also to others here what are normal install cost? This is all new to me. I have a 2 story chimney, so was told SS insulated liner ~25' was $875, but if it don't fit they will use a non-insulated and the install for everything with chimney cap is $850. I will have to pay actual permit cost for my town but they will do the paper work. This is for North/Central NJ, so i expect prices are a bit higher then other states.

Wood burring is all new to me. I moved into my first home with a fire place last year, we loved having fires but having it suck out all my heated air cost a lot. So I want to go with an insert. I did a lot of online looking and the Avalon Perfect-Fit Plus was just what I was looking for. My wife and I wanted a flush mount, contemporary looking and a large window that kept the romance that a fireplace has. I know i can get other units that stick out a but that will have larger fire boxes but I only plan to use this as supplemental heat for ~ 2400 sq ft home. It is a center hall colonial so the blower should push the heat right up the stairs into the bead rooms. In addition i have a forced hot air set up so the air handler can circulate the air as well.

Thanks for any advice for a n00b.

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.