New Biomass with oil

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like a neat unit - appears like all they did was jack up the wood only unit and stick another secondary chamber underneath with a burner mount on it...

Does make for a TALL boiler, going to have to pick the wood up higher to load it, hard to say how much of a problem that would be...

Not a lot of info on the site at present - I didn't see a manual for the combo (The manual in the menu is just for the wood only units) so all you had was a few pictures and the dimensions chart. I would be interested to see how they handle the smoke path and switchover from wood to fossil fuel. The big problem many of the combo units have is the wood gas byproducts gooping up the fossil burner so that it wouldn't work right - how does the Biomass avoid this?

How do they handle the switchover, and particularly do they have some sort of signaling that would tell the rest of the system which fuel is burning, as one should hopefully want to cut the storage out of the picture when heating with fossils (no need to waste energy on the storage)? Is there some separation of the control between wood and fossil for those that might want to have the wood set to maintain comfortable temps, and the fossil at "keep the pipes from freezing" temps...

I still think separate units are preferable for all the reasons that have been discussed elsewhere, but I'm glad to see this addition to the list of available combo units for those that want them.

Gooserider

Glad to see manufacturers moving in that direction offering options.

All someone needs to do is take the new burner out, or buy it without the burner then buy an old oil burner, modify it to burn WMO ( waste motor oil ) or WVO

Best of both worlds IMHO :)

Status
Not open for further replies.