New BK accessory

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

shoot-straight

Minister of Fire
Jan 5, 2012
Kennedyville, MD
I have learned the best way to get the heat from my ashford is to use the fan. But the use of the fans dramatically reduces my burn times (do a search if you want to know why this occurs). Fans on or off was the only option at first. Then I used A simple appliance timer to cycle it on or off over a 24 hr period. It worked good. I could Leave the fans off for instance until later in the night when the temps drop outside. Mostly I used it to cycle the fans on and off on an hourly basis.

I have always wanted a thermostatic switch to make things even better. I was going to have an electrician wire the outlet to one across the room- till a co worker found found me this on eBay I think:

Very excited!!!!

I have it set for 21C (roughly 70) the fans will kick in if it gets below that in the stove room. That keeps the rest of the House about 68 which is perfect. Of course it doesn't control the fan speed, but it shouldn't be a huge issue.

Will report back

Attachments

• C57CA099-3051-45D9-A806-030A19F06358.jpeg
    C57CA099-3051-45D9-A806-030A19F06358.jpeg
    79.1 KB · Views: 179
I have learned the best way to get the heat from my ashford is to use the fan. But the use of the fans dramatically reduces my burn times (do a search if you want to know why this occurs). Fans on or off was the only option at first. Then I used A simple appliance timer to cycle it on or off over a 24 hr period. It worked good. I could Leave the fans off for instance until later in the night when the temps drop outside. Mostly I used it to cycle the fans on and off on an hourly basis.

I have always wanted a thermostatic switch to make things even better. I was going to have an electrician wire the outlet to one across the room- till a co worker found found me this on eBay I think:

Very excited!!!!

I have it set for 21C (roughly 70) the fans will kick in if it gets below that in the stove room. That keeps the rest of the House about 68 which is perfect. Of course it doesn't control the fan speed, but it shouldn't be a huge issue.

Will report back

Interesting! I've used one of these for a homebrew fermentation chamber temperature controller: Lux WIN100 outlet thermostat.

Screenshot 2018-12-27 at 11.08.45 PM.png

The real trick is that you can extend that little sensor off the top with additional wire if you wanted to say put the sensor higher on the wall or around the corner. But your wireless find is a pretty cool option.

I don't have a BK fan kit on my Ashford 30, but if I get one, I was considering hooking something like this up to it.

Check your amp draws on the fans to make sure any of these are up for the task of switching the fans when on high. I would assume they are, but it is much better to check than have an issue pulling more current than it is designed for.

Great. Now I have a few on my Ebay watch list! Been thinking about putting one on a small floor fan located at the far end of the house.

@Ryan723 Id bet you would be impressed with the BK fan kit. I sure have been. I don't always use it. Usually only on the lowest setting unless its real cold. Then they get run a bit higher. Never over half speed for me. Really cycles the heat through my place well. Still hard to believe they sell stoves without the fans?

Reactions: Ryan723
Found an issue- the stat operates at 1 deg above and below set temp. The stat is in Celsius- so I'm not crazy about the roughly 3.5 deg f swing in temp. Need one that operates in closer tolorances

Edit- after watching the Chinese informational video, I was Able to get to to change to f! That said it still clicks on and off at 1 deg C. So same temp swing.

Last edited: