New Blaze King Chinook 30 install with pics.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

drstorm

Burning Hunk
Aug 19, 2016
Northeast PA
IMG_20160925_202532.jpg IMG_20160925_202636.jpg IMG_20160925_202734.jpg IMG_20160925_203027.jpg IMG_20160925_203943.jpg IMG_20160925_204028.jpg IMG_20160925_204059.jpg .
Hello everyone.I have previously posted a few questions already leading up to my purchase and installation,but this is my first in-depth post.
We just got back from our family vacation and had the BK installed while we were away.The Chinook 30 is just as attractive installed as any of the professionally taken photos on the Blaze King website and brochures.I find it rare that anything really looks as good as marketed so that's a plus.
A few things.
I haven't spoken with my installer since we were not here(planned that way)but I am missing two things(as the pictures will show).

1-The Cat probe active indicator.
2-The knob for setting 1-2-3 on the burn rate/heat output.

The other picture I am including is for some advice on sealing the space between the collar and the the wall pipe,options for sealing the gaps both inside and out as I can see daylight.I don't want to feel that draft coming through when its 0 out.
I'm pretty sure either a combination of high temp silicone,furnace cement and maybe even a piece of gasket should do it.
I emailed my dealer tonight and am sure I'll get some answers from him too but I was excited to post some pics and share my install experience so it can add to the wealth of information this forum and you veteran wood burners have provided me.

Last edited:
Good looking stove. I wouldn't mind having it in my rec room downstairs. I am sure you are going to love it just like anybody else who was wise enough to buy a BK stove.

So single wall pipe eh? Looks like an all new installation out the wall and via two 90s into an exterior chimney. How long is that exterior chimney? I worry that it is like 8 feet tall. The BK series now requires 15' of chimney height, and the 90s subtract from that so I'm hoping that you have two stories of height. Let's see the outside work.

Your stove is inoperable as-is. You need the knob and cat meter to run this appliance. Don't try it out yet.

With the single wall pipe, your clearance requirements are pretty big. If I were you I would take some careful measurements.

The 30 box is a great stove.

The gap around tee snout should have been sealed on the outside with high temp silicone, preferably silver to match the pipe and prevent light from coming through.
The thermostat control knob ships installed on the stove, the probe thermometer is packed with the owners manual.

So single wall pipe eh? Looks like an all new installation out the wall and via two 90s into an exterior chimney. How long is that exterior chimney? I worry that it is like 8 feet tall. The BK series now requires 15' of chimney height, and the 90s subtract from that so I'm hoping that you have two stories of height. Let's see the outside work.

Your stove is inoperable as-is. You need the knob and cat meter to run this appliance. Don't try it out yet.

With the single wall pipe, your clearance requirements are pretty big. If I were you I would take some careful measurements.

The 30 box is a great stove.
Yes,two stories.I'll attach a pic from installation being done,can't take one now without the scaffolding because it dark.
I believe it goes to a double wall through the actual wall.The single pipe appears to go into a larger more solid pipe with a collar around that and then another collar for the larger pipe.Also the first floor is cinderblock construction so that is what it passes through.I still think its double wall though.
They filled out a form from my insurance company and signed off that everything was being installed to code so I'm hoping they wouldn't be that dishonest.Although the fact that I haven't heard back as to where my cat probe and thermometer are is annoying.I figure I'm in the drivers seat with that.I don't plan on paying the other half (50% deposit is all they have so far)until I have them in my possession.

Attachments

• 123_11.jpg
    123_11.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 383
The gap around tee snout should have been sealed on the outside with high temp silicone, preferably silver to match the pipe and prevent light from coming through.
The thermostat control knob ships installed on the stove, the probe thermometer is packed with the owners manual.
Thanks Webby.I will look for silver high temp silicone.

Status
Not open for further replies.