New block chimney install cost

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

max384

Nov 28, 2015
Eagle Rock, PA
I'm having a new chimney installed in my house for my woodstove. The woodstove will be in my basement, which is ground level (with door close by for easy wood access). The stove pipe will go through the outside concrete wall, and it will be an external chimney. It will go straight up two stories (the above ground basement and first floor) and through the soffit.

I got two rough estimates of $2500-3000 by one and $4000-5000 from another contractor. Both are going to come by this week to give a final estimate. Price includes stove pipe connecting to chimney, breaking through the concrete wall, laying footer, cleanout door, terracotta liner, and, of course, the block chimney with cap.

Do these estimates sounds reasonable? What have others paid for similar chimneys?

are they adding a stainless liner to it as well? have you looked into getting quotes on double wall insulated class A pipe?

No stainless liner. Both said that would add about $1000-1500 on top of their quotes.

Both stopped by today. One gave a final estimate of $3150. The other said he would let me know in a week (and this was the one who originally estimated $4-5000).

We're set on the block chimney. I'm going to put on face stone to match the stone already on the house next year.

i only asked because you'll get better draft, less creosote from an insulated liner or class A pipe than from a block chimney. if you're going to put on a stone face you could put the class A in a chase and still put the stone face on it. quotes are free can't hurt to get them now before you start.

Don't do a chimney with a terracotta liner they do not preform or hold up well at all. Either do the class a chimney which you can put a chase around and stove veneer or just have them lay block and then drop an insulated ss liner down it. You will regret it if you just get terracotta liners

Reactions: jotulguy
They sound high especially for a chimney that will be very disappointing.

Reactions: max384
And just so you are aware, Mr bholler is a chimney professional so I would think his suggestion on this matter should carry a little more weight than the rest of our "professional opinions"...

I had a 35 foot block chimney installed on the exterior put in a few years ago. Cost about 5k. Drafts nice but wish I would have used a class a cased in to look better and make less creosote

Reactions: max384
Seems high to me especially for a chimney that will like perform poorly based on what you've described. There are much better options for your dollar.

Probably hooking a Fisher or Timberline up to it anyway :confused:

My dad has the exact set up with a Fisher stove and terracotta liner and loves it.

It keeps his house warm but it just seems a shame that he's not in there to enjoy it because he's always outside getting wheelbarrows of wood or on the roof cleaning the chimney.

My dad has the exact set up with a Fisher stove and terracotta liner and loves it.

It keeps his house warm but it just seems a shame that he's not in there to enjoy it because he's always outside getting wheelbarrows of wood or on the roof cleaning the chimney.
My point exactly, a stainless liner of some sort would be much easier to maintain in this type of setup. I've got some that I clean twice a season due to the buildup from inside the terracotta. Primarily caused from the exterior chimney design and the flues not staying hot enough.

I'm really only interested in hearing if those estimates are reasonable. Could anyone here comment on that?
Just so you understand, bholler is not just a wood burner but earns his living as a chimney sweep ... pay attention to his advice! Better to change your plan now than when you find out your plan hasn't worked out. You might want to check with your local building official and insurance company to see what is acceptable... some require the ss liner even with the terra cotta liner.

Reactions: brenndatomu
Don't do a chimney with a terracotta liner they do not preform or hold up well at all. Either do the class a chimney which you can put a chase around and stove veneer or just have them lay block and then drop an insulated ss liner down it. You will regret it if you just get terracotta liners

Im just curious, why do you say not to use terracotta chimney liners? I think every single chimney i have ever seen in my area of Pennsylvania is a terracota lined chimney, and pretty much everyone including myself burn wood for heat out of a terracotta lined chimney from october to april. Just curious, ive been looking into rebuilding my chimney and cantt decide if i wanna go the insulated pipe route or a masonry chimney with terracotta liner.

Just because all of the old junk you see still standing in your location uses an obsolete technology does not mean it’s better.

What if the superior class a was actually cheaper? Quotes are free.

Im just curious, why do you say not to use terracotta chimney liners? I think every single chimney i have ever seen in my area of Pennsylvania is a terracota lined chimney, and pretty much everyone including myself burn wood for heat out of a terracotta lined chimney from october to april. Just curious, ive been looking into rebuilding my chimney and cantt decide if i wanna go the insulated pipe route or a masonry chimney with terracotta liner.
Because terracotta is just outdated. Yes it still can work but not nearly as well as modern lining materials. Insulated stainless liners or prefab stainless chimneys just work much better and are far safer.

Seeing since this thread is from 2016 the same answer still applies.

Can you burn in terracotta lined chimneys? Yes. Is it the best? No.

Terracotta is like a sponge soaking up all the heat and bits of creosote love to attach to it upstream as the chimney cools down (not to mention offsets and cracks). An insulated class a is smooth and insulated so it stays hot all the way to the top creating a better draft and less creosote buildup.

Because terracotta is just outdated. Yes it still can work but not nearly as well as modern lining materials. Insulated stainless liners or prefab stainless chimneys just work much better and are far safer.
I hear ya, i figured theyre safer and probably much easier to install and maintain, just literally dont know anyone that has anything other than terracotta so i figured id ask.

If doing it from scratch, a good quality, metal chimney is all I would consider.

If doing it from scratch, a good quality, metal chimney is all I would consider.
yeah i would just rip the old chimney down with the mini and start from scratch, thats what ive been reading too, metal chimney is the way to go, and its honestly same price in materials just about, but definitely seems like an easier job than laying a masonry chimney

yeah i would just rip the old chimney down with the mini and start from scratch, thats what ive been reading too, metal chimney is the way to go, and its honestly same price in materials just about, but definitely seems like an easier job than laying a masonry chimney
You don't want to just rip the old chimney down you need to take it down little by little. A block chimney with clay liners is way cheaper in materials but way more work. Is the masonry structure ok if so breaking out the clay and dropping an insulated liner is a good option as well