New Chains For Electric as well as Gas Saws

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

velvetfoot

Minister of Fire
Dec 5, 2005
Sand Lake, NY
I have a Poulan Pro 2 hp electric chain saw. I cut about a cord and a half with it a couple of years ago. It never seemed to cut well - like the chain was dull (even with new chain) - though it seemed to have enough 'ooomph'. I stopped at the Stihl place last night and he sold me a couple of new chains; one for the electric and one for the gas. Both are 'semi-chisel'. The old ones were safety and the electric was a skip chain as well. I'm not all that up on the terminology, but he said I should be pleased with the gasser's chain. He thought the electric might have been skip because of lack of power- I said I'd give it a whirl.

I realize the semi-chisel is somewhat more prone to kickback.

Any other comments?

I'll give them both a workout when the logs arrive.

Stihl non-safety full chisel is all I use anymore. Stihl chains are well worth the extra cost.
Full chisel cuts a little better but dulls faster.
Semi chisel is the opposite.
I use non safety chain but I have many years using a saw, learned to use a saw before there was safety chain.

velvetfoot said:

Full chisel is non-safety chain and more prone to kick-back...

kettensäge said:
Stihl non-safety full chisel is all I use anymore. Stihl chains are well worth the extra cost.
Full chisel cuts a little better but dulls faster.
Semi chisel is the opposite.
I use non safety chain but I have many years using a saw, learned to use a saw before there was safety chain.

When I started 30 yrs ago there was no such animal.Used to buy 20" Oregon DT-70 full chisel in the package at local farm store,had great results with it for 20 years..One day I went to buy an extra for backup some time later,they had dropped those in favor of those worthless Vanguard safety chains with the folded-over rakers.Now I use Oregon 72LPX, sold at local saw shop & online,not sure if its same chain with new stock number,but it cuts identically as the old one.

lukem said:
velvetfoot said:

Not necessarily:

Stihl RSC = full chisel, non safety (yellow)
Stihl RSC3 = full chisel, safety (green)

TreePointer said:
lukem said:
velvetfoot said:

Not necessarily:

Stihl RSC = full chisel, non safety (yellow)
Stihl RSC3 = full chisel, safety (green)

Learn something new every day...never seen/heard of RSC3 chain...is it common?

lukem said:
Learn something new every day...never seen/heard of RSC3 chain...is it common?

Essentially all Stihl chainsaws at the dealers around me will be sold with some kind of safety chain (chain model will end in a "3") unless you ask for something else. The lower powered saws will come with RMC3, and around 60cc and larger the saws will have RSC3. See the recommended chain on the Stihl Chain Saw Comparison Chart.

What makes a chain a "safety chain" (whether Stihl, Oregon, or other) is the shape of the drive link and/or the shape of the depth gauge and/or the presence of extra bumper links. The presence of these items contribute to the chain's lower kickback property.

You also cannot plunge cut with safety chain. I had good results with Oregon chains from Lowes. They stopped selling the one I preferred and replaced it with a full on safety chain. I Now use Stihl chains exclusively from the local dealer. Not sure if the safety chain only at my local Lowes is a state or regional requirement.

If a person feels better using safety chain than it is right for them. I am fully comfortable with non safety chain, have used both in the past and prefer it based on my experience and skill level. Non safety chain will want to kick back more, that is why they make safety chain.
Your results may vary.

Status
Not open for further replies.