New Chainsaw Advice

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Tom NJ said:
Okay, so I got the Stihl 391 with an 18" bar. Nice saw. I am very happy with my purchase. There ain't gonna be any trees left around here...

Thanks again for all the input.

Lets see a pic of this bad boy!

Jutt77 said:
DanCorcoran said:
Okay, I give up.
Correct me if I'm wrong here guys but the PROS of a pro saw are:
- parts of the body a more durable metal construction. My 026 and 6401 both have magnesium cast bodies
- easier to work on/maintain
- NOT made in China
- better construction quality of parts/better QA, e.g. less casting burrs in cylinder, more machined parts etc.
- more durable: rated for longer use
- better AV
- adjustable oiler
- decomp valve

We come from different levels of experience , so I assume the word "pro" means different things to different people.

I worked as a treeman and as a saw mechanic starting in the late 1960s. I still cut a lot of firewood. Maybe 20-30 full cords of ash-oak-hard maple - hickory every summer?

This is how I see it. A "pro-saw" ought to have a metal crankcase, ball bearings on BOTH main bearings, a cylinder-jug that is high quality and totally separate from the crankcase, a simple but well built pull starter, a decompression valve on larger saws, a metal bar cover, an adjustable oiler, an easily serviced air filter, and NO idiot-type self-adjust mechanism for the bar and chain.

Now adays - claimed cutting speeds are not the #1 issue to me. Modern tech allows saws to be built cheaply and still cut very well - althought some won't last long.

Also, for the most part - the brand-name does not guarantee quality. I started working on,and using . . . Homelites, Sachs, and Sthils back in the 60s. At that time, the brand-name Homelite meant quality to pros - which is hard to believe now. At that time, almost all saws - cheap or not - were all metal, had ball bearings, separate jugs, etc. Not the case now-adays.

From what I've observed lately (past two years). Husqvarna makes a cheaper line of saws with plastic crankcases that WILL self-destruct when used hard and long.

To Sthil's credit - to my knowledge - they thus far have not stooped to that level. Stihl has made some great saws and some poor saws over the years -but even the worst still had metal crankcases. Stihl does have some Chinese parts and does make some saws with roller-bearings riding on the crank instead of ball-bearings. They've also made a few that used jugs integral with the crankcase.

And yes, there are also plenty of pro Husky and Sthil saws to be bought. But, often for less money, a Dolmar/Makita or an Efco can be bought - at a fully pro-saw level - and they give more quality for less money.

Nice thing too is . . . Dolmar and Efco post full parts breakdowns on-line. So, you can see inside a saw before you buy it. Not so easy with Stihl. I wonder why?

smokinjay said:
Tom NJ said:
Okay, so I got the Stihl 391 with an 18" bar. Nice saw. I am very happy with my purchase. There ain't gonna be any trees left around here...

Thanks again for all the input.

Lets see a pic of this bad boy!

I haven't had an opportunity to take a pic, I've been busy cuttin'. I'll have to take one soon.

Funny story. My father, who is in his 70s, went with me to pick up the saw. He has a Homelite, because that is what he has always had. He can't accept that they are an inferior saw today, because they were the name in saws when he was in his prime. So, we get to the dealer and as the guy is getting everything together, I asked for a case too. The guy said sure, it'll be $39.99. My father then says, "Huh...Homelites come with a case." The guy looks up and says, "Homelite...? You're comparing a Stihl to a Homelite?" My dad said, "That's what I've always used." I just shook my head.

Status
Not open for further replies.