1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

NEW CHAINSAW RECOMMENDATION

Post in 'The Gear' started by Llamaman, Dec 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JeffRey30747

JeffRey30747 Member

Loc:
    NW GA USA
    I got an email last night stating that it had shipped, so it didn't stay on backorder long.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Flatbedford

Flatbedford Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Croton-on-Hudson, suburbs of NYC
    I have three Stihl dealers within 10 miles of me. I bought my 029 in 1996 and it has never been to any of those dealers. I don't know how important it is to have a good dealer nearby, especially if you are using the saw a few times a year to cut your 4 or 5 cords like I do. The 029/MS290 is pretty god all around saw. Mine has a 20'' bar and I have cut 40" Oak with it and limbed trees off a ladder with it. It is a little heavy, but I'm not using it all day every day so its not such a big deal.
  3. Wet1

Wet1 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    USA
    As an 880 (and 3120xp) owner, I can tell you this is not a saw many people would want to use often! I'm a fairly strong guy, but working with these saws for any period of time will wear you down pretty quick! The powerhead alone (w/o the bar and chain) has to be over 25 lbs. Now the 660 on the other hand is a must own saw! :cheese:
  4. Tony H

Tony H New Member

Loc:
    N Illinois
    seems to me there is a bit of competition between the saw brands and alot of the talk is for bigger saws. With what you are looking for a midsized stihl , husky ,or dolmar would work fine . The 250 thru 290 with a 16 or 18 bar would work for most of your needs. The local dealer is handy for getting chains sharpened and PPE
    the number of refurbed huskies worries me a bit why are there so many around ?
  5. CrawfordCentury

CrawfordCentury New Member

Loc:
    The foothills
    I'm pretty new to this forum, but when I saw the title and the number of posts, I just knew I'd see the digits 361/362, 390, 440, 460 etc. etc. with the Dolmar/Makita, Jred, Huskie numary equivalnts popping up too.

Didn't read every post, but didn't see anyone mention getting a modded out 372xp.

I'm with the guys voting for the 260. Just plain old great all around saw. The 290 is probably the best overall value in the non-pro lineup.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.