New chainsaw

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Also, what about gas for the 361? I thought I had heard people mention 93 octane but the dealer I just got the saw from said 89 was what they recommended.

try to get your gas that is ethanol free, I read that the ethanol messes up saws after a while.

I've got a 290 or 029 or whatever, and after a couple seasons, the gas pick-up had to be replaced, a factory defect. Anybody else ? It just quit running.

So, nowadays it's starting to have that feel on a cold start where you have to tickle it to keep it running, until the first cut, and then it seems fine. Is it the 10% ethanol maybe ? or the gas pick-up again ?

One of the best reasons for owning a Stihl is ease of cranking, unlike those greenmonsters (I am a former owner of the 3400 bow) that wore you out getting cranked. The 290 20" is a cutting machine, a little heavier than the pro models though.

I run 93 in mine just fill like they start easier and i like to think a little more proforamce!(never did any times with different gas)

Spikem said:
aandabooks said:
Check to see if it has a yellow link or green link in the chain. Yellow is what you want. Very good chain.

Congrats on the new saw. If you want to do a muffler mod on it in the future, there is an excellent thread on that over at arboristsite. It is a sticky in the chainsaw forum.

Yep, I've got the yellow. (What does that mean, by the way?)

Also, what does the muffler modification do? I'll guess and go with "more power".

Yellow means it doesn't have the anti-kickback rakers on it. Just ask for RSC when you go to buy more or if you move over to Oregon 72LGX. I'm assuming you've got 3/8 .050 setup. Oregon chains can be bought for $11-12 vs. $24 at my Stihl dealer.

The muffler opens up the saw and allows it to produce more power, run cooler but does make it louder. The carb will have to be adjusted after a muffler mod which would mean removing the limiter caps. If you're not comfortable with that, then run it stock and be happy. Oh yeah, modding the muffler will void the warranty.

aandabooks said:
Spikem said:
aandabooks said:
Check to see if it has a yellow link or green link in the chain. Yellow is what you want. Very good chain.

Congrats on the new saw. If you want to do a muffler mod on it in the future, there is an excellent thread on that over at arboristsite. It is a sticky in the chainsaw forum.

Yep, I've got the yellow. (What does that mean, by the way?)

Also, what does the muffler modification do? I'll guess and go with "more power".

Yellow means it doesn't have the anti-kickback rakers on it. Just ask for RSC when you go to buy more or if you move over to Oregon 72LGX. I'm assuming you've got 3/8 .050 setup. Oregon chains can be bought for $11-12 vs. $24 at my Stihl dealer.

The muffler opens up the saw and allows it to produce more power, run cooler but does make it louder. The carb will have to be adjusted after a muffler mod which would mean removing the limiter caps. If you're not comfortable with that, then run it stock and be happy. Oh yeah, modding the muffler will void the warranty.
not if you buy the dual port sthil muffler cover!

not if you buy the dual port sthil muffler cover!

I could be wrong but I don't believe one is available for that saw. Never seen one mentioned over at arboristsite. I think they start at the 440 and move up from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.