New concrete foundation wall / stove pipe size

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

logsplitter101

Aug 3, 2017
KY
We are getting ready to pour a new home foundation. Instead of coming back at a later date and core drilling for a stove pipe to the outside, the concrete company is able to place a sleeve while pouring the walls. What size sleeve pipe is best to have placed when pouring the walls? The stove chosen at this time has a 6" pipe. I was thinking of asking for a 8" sleeve or possibly 10" in the event the future stove has a 8" pipe. Thanks.

Most stoves are 6" these days.

The wall pass through needs to be big enough for piece of insulated class A chimney pipe. For a 6" system I'd want a 9" hole, 11" for an 8" system.

Reactions: MR. GLO
The wall pass through needs to be big enough for piece of insulated class A chimney pipe. For a 6" system I'd want a 9" hole, 11" for an 8" system.

Thanks for the replies. The foundation company has 10" and 12" in sleeves. With most stoves using 6" maybe going with the 10" sleeve will work and fill in around with mortar.

Reactions: MR. GLO
Have to ask, why put a stove in the basement with new construction? Will the basement be insulated? How will the heat get upstairs or will there be a second stove upstairs?

The horizontal piece of class A that you will be sticking through this sleeve will also have a slope to it. So be sure that you have enough slop in there for the proper slope.

I would love a basement with a woodburner. Wood be a great place for a ducted wood or pellet furnace too.

In new construction you could build an interior flue chase through the heated space and save yourself from having to look at the ugly pipe running up the outside of your house. Interior chimneys stay warmer and are better performers.

Reactions: webby3650
Have to ask, why put a stove in the basement with new construction? Will the basement be insulated? How will the heat get upstairs or will there be a second stove upstairs?

Good question, another stove will be upstairs. Home is a larger ranch with direct walkout in the basement.

The horizontal piece of class A that you will be sticking through this sleeve will also have a slope to it. So be sure that you have enough slop in there for the proper slope.

Good point and I had not thought of the slope. I can ask for a 10" sleeve and if need be chisel out additional angle if needed.

It should have 1/4" per ft rise but the tee connection is going to keep it mostly level and perpendicular to the vertical chimney pipe. Sure we can't talk you into running it up the interior of the house?

The slope is not any real concern with an 8" wall, as mentioned the Tee will prevent you from getting much rise in the pipe anyway.
I also second the importance of an interior chimney if at all possible. A Tee system would be an absolute last resort for me.

Reactions: WoodyIsGoody
I also second the importance of an interior chimney if at all possible. A Tee system would be an absolute last resort for me.

An interior chimney would be great but at a cost of going through a room we don't want it. Fortunately, the side of the foundation is not visible from any road and blocked by trees.

An interior chimney would be great but at a cost of going through a room we don't want it. Fortunately, the side of the foundation is not visible from any road and blocked by trees.
I wouldn't avoid it for aesthetics, but for performance problems. Sometimes it's necessary though. Hope it goes well.