Installing a Basement Woodstove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jigstick

Jan 19, 2015
Pittsburgh, PA
Lots of research and reading…and approval from my old lady…has lead me to doing this install finally. I’ll try and keep this short.

Basement is currently unfinished. Poured concrete walls reinforced with rebar. Basement is entirely below grade.

Stove: Kuma Wood Classic LE

Chimney: Duravent Duraplus Triple Wall

Hearth: poured concrete 5 1/2in thick

Walls around stove will be metal studs, cement board, and covered in Evolve Morterless stone veneer.

My first issue is getting the hole core drilled through my wall. I’m going to have to dig down around my foundation, pour some concrete, and block off a well for future chase construction around the exterior chimney.

The duravent wall thimble for 6in pipe is showing me an I.D. of 8 1/8in. My plan is to core drill a 9in hole…center the thimble in the hole, then back fill around the pipe with concrete or hydraulic cement. Am I on the right track here? The core drill available to me only has bits in 1in increments. So I have to go with an 8in or 9in hole.

Lots of research and reading…and approval from my old lady…has lead me to doing this install finally. I’ll try and keep this short.

Basement is currently unfinished. Poured concrete walls reinforced with rebar. Basement is entirely below grade.

Stove: Kuma Wood Classic LE

Chimney: Duravent Duraplus Triple Wall

Hearth: poured concrete 5 1/2in thick

Walls around stove will be metal studs, cement board, and covered in Evolve Morterless stone veneer.

My first issue is getting the hole core drilled through my wall. I’m going to have to dig down around my foundation, pour some concrete, and block off a well for future chase construction around the exterior chimney.

The duravent wall thimble for 6in pipe is showing me an I.D. of 8 1/8in. My plan is to core drill a 9in hole…center the thimble in the hole, then back fill around the pipe with concrete or hydraulic cement. Am I on the right track here? The core drill available to me only has bits in 1in increments. So I have to go with an 8in or 9in hole.
Don't use the triple wall pipe. Go insulated double wall. It costs a little more but works far better.

Smaller hole too.

Why the metal framing ? If the stove’s clearances are honored it can be wood. Will the basement be getting insulated?

Why the metal framing ? If the stove’s clearances are honored it can be wood. Will the basement be getting insulated?
I did mine with steel studs roxul and cement board. That way I never have to worry about it no matter what stove I set there

I just figured do it in metal / cement board so I never have to worry about it. I could certainly do drywall and the stone veneer. I’ll have to get the stove on site and in place at the proper clearances and see if I like there. If it’s too far out of the corner then I’ll go with metal studs / cement board.

I’m curious as to why the double wall chimney will draft better than triple wall. My stack is going to be pretty high. My best guess 35ft high. And for a year or two there will be no chase. I figured triple wall would keep my stack warmer while it’s exposed to the elements. 🤷‍♂️

The insulation is superior in the double-wall so it doesn't need the air gap in the outer wall.

Reactions: jigstick
You didn't mention insulation, I'm assuming you plan to do that, pretty easy with no walls up yet and makes a huge difference.

As Bholler said double wall will be just fine. Got to know where the rebar is though.
Actually double wall chimney is better than triple wall. The core bits I have used cut right through rebar no problem

Reactions: spuldup
Yes the basement walls will be insulated. The core drill bit, according my buddy, should eat right through rebar. However I do plan on scanning the wall with a detector to try and locate them.

Any recommendations on the size of the hole? Not sure the thimble will fit if I bore an 8in.

Yes the basement walls will be insulated. The core drill bit, according my buddy, should eat right through rebar. However I do plan on scanning the wall with a detector to try and locate them.

Any recommendations on the size of the hole? Not sure the thimble will fit if I bore an 8in.
Go 9" 8 would be really tight duraplus is 10" I believe

Well If Duratech Premium double wall is going to work better for an exposed 30ft chimney I will go that route. I believe that’s 6in ID and 8in OD
Yes it has double the insulation and will definitely maintain temps better

On the exterior of the house…how close can the chimney be to a window? I have one window on my first floor in close proximity to where I want to route the chimney. My plan was to remove the window and close the opening up. But if I can avoid that I’d like too. If I keep the window in place the chimney would probably be within a couple inches of it

On the exterior of the house…how close can the chimney be to a window? I have one window on my first floor in close proximity to where I want to route the chimney. My plan was to remove the window and close the opening up. But if I can avoid that I’d like too. If I keep the window in place the chimney would probably be within a couple inches of it
I don't remember off hand but the chimney manufacturer should be able to tell you that

Please post what you find out. This came up years ago, but I can not find the answer now. I thought it was 2 or 3 ft., but can't verify. A workaround if it is close is to make it a fixed, unopenable window.

I stopped at my local woodstove shop today to get some answers. Here in PA they said theres no "code" to how close the chimney pipe can be to a window, as long as it doesnt "cover" the window. They have done some installs where they ran 6in Duratech chimneys up the outside of homes that come within 2in of the exterior window trim.

So far they have said my plan is pretty solid. However after getting home, another question has arrised.

My foundation wall is 10in thick. When i frame the interior basement walls, and cover with cement board, that will add another 5-6in or so. The wall thimble only extends to a max of 10in, but can be extended. However, black colored Duratech chimney pipe only comes in 12in sections maximum. I need this pipe to extend minimum of 6in into my basement. Meaning I need a black section of Duratech chimney pipe that is roughly 25in long or longer.

Is it acceptable to join two 12in sections of Duratech chimney pipe to come through the thimble the proper distance? That would put a joint buried in my thimble / concrete wall.

Or would I just buy stainless Duratech chimney pipe in the length i need an somehow paint it black to match the DVL stove pipe being used in the interior of the basement.

Last edited:
This is why I suggested foregoing the metal stud wall in just that location, behind the stove. Ideally, you want that horizontal section as short as possible. Basement installs can have a tricky flue draft in some houses. The horiz. run will slow down the flue gases a lot and can lead to a balky stove. Is there a possibility of going straight up through the house?

Unfortunately going straight up is just not an option. Dining room and bedrooms are above the stove location. Floor joists and misc prevents a straight up install.

Figured out my thimble a and chimney piping. Things are coming together. Probably going to pick up the stove this weekend. I’m on to planning my stone veneer and mantle.

Is there a height requirement from the top of the stove to bottom of mantle? Planning on using reclaimed 6x6 as a mantle. Similiar to this:

821B707D-7491-40E4-9912-42FAFAAB95AB.jpeg

The stove clearance requirements and the stove pipe clearance needs will dictate how close the mantel can be. If there are questions or info not found in the documentation, contact Kuma.