Heartbroken…

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
While there's some truth in this, my prior guy did good work, and still had the odd cancelation or opportunities to push the schedule around to fit me in, when needed. Sometimes they have a big job booked and the required material doesn't arrive in time, then voila... they have an opening for someone else!
Absolutely correct, just giving my 2cents to the OP, many variables at work but still be cautious.

Reactions: KG19
Technically yes it is required by code. But honestly I have never seen it enforced. I do it when practical
Sorry to revive this thread, but I had an other company come out look at everything and give me a quote. They were about 1k less than the previous company but the total for all work is about 4k (remove old liner, install 35 ft insulated ss flex liner with new wall pass through and cleanout in basement).

My question just for clarification is, do you see anything my wrong with running the liner down to the basement for the cleanout down there? Both companies have suggested this. I just want to make sure it’s not gonna affect the draft. They said it wouldn’t, it I wanted to get a couple opinions from experts on here. Maybe since the chimney is so tall the draft will be strong enough that the extension below the wall penetration won’t really affect it? This company has said that they won’t need to insulate the extension down to the cleanout

Sorry to revive this thread, but I had an other company come out look at everything and give me a quote. They were about 1k less than the previous company but the total for all work is about 4k (remove old liner, install 35 ft insulated ss flex liner with new wall pass through and cleanout in basement).

My question just for clarification is, do you see anything my wrong with running the liner down to the basement for the cleanout down there? Both companies have suggested this. I just want to make sure it’s not gonna affect the draft. They said it wouldn’t, it I wanted to get a couple opinions from experts on here. Maybe since the chimney is so tall the draft will be strong enough that the extension below the wall penetration won’t really affect it? This company has said that they won’t need to insulate the extension down to the cleanout
No it won't negatively effect draft

Would be nice if this worked out for you. Good luck.
I’m hoping! The bad news is that I didn’t get it done sooner… we’ve had a relatively snow free winter this far but we’re supposed to get over a foot tonight and then have temps in the single digit highs for the next week or so… so I’m assuming it might be quite a while before they can do the install now… unless pros are able to install a liner even with snow on the roof?