Heartbroken…

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

KG19

May 15, 2022
SW Wisconsin
Just got some terrible news… I’ve been looking into getting a new woodstove (PE alderlea t6). Talked to a dealership and got quotes, all good to go on it price-wise… but they wanted to check my current setup of my chimney first. They sent someone out to inspect and found that the liner I have isn’t insulated, is 8in diameter and was most likely used for an old wood furnace hooked up in the basement. The people who remodeled by 100 year old house back in 2018 (2 years before we bought it) apparently just diy hooked up a stove to the old flue system. When we had it inspected (by a different company) when we first moved in, no mention of any of this. So I’ve used the shove for the last 2 years.

Basically, the guy put a camera up and found a small hole in the liner, as well as a single wall thimble through the wall which should have 18in clearance but is spaced for the double wall stovepipe it’s connected to (6in clearance). They said they have to tell me it’s unsafe to use, though realistically the risk is relatively small. I’m not gonna continue using as is though,

The inspector said he could drop a 6in insulated liner inside the current 8in, so I was waiting on a price quote for that. The guy I talked to on the phone today was apologetic about how this is the priciest liner he’s ever had to price, at over $5k for the liner install alone (tall house played into this). He said they could probably build a whole new chimney system for less honestly, but that would look weird on our house.

A lot of this is just me venting… it’s just heartbreaking to go from the high of “we’re getting a brand new stove!” To, well I may not use a wood stove for years now if ever again. Not to mention I have 3+ years of wood sitting at my house that I’ve spent every minute of free time collecting over the last 2 years. It’s really become an addiction and a lifestyle that was so fulfilling. Ok, rant over. Thanks for reading

Not sure the specifics of your situation and I'm no expert but I just had an insert installed into an existing fireplace. I had a 6 in insulated liner installed into an 8 in insulated chimney like you describe. It is 25 feet. The quote didn't itemize out the liner install but total including the stove was 6k. Maybe a second opinion is in order?

And for what it's worth, it took two guys (one inside, one outside) about 15 mins to slide the new liner down the existing chimney.

Reactions: ctreitzell and mari
Not sure the specifics of your situation and I'm no expert but I just had an insert installed into an existing fireplace. I had a 6 in insulated liner installed into an 8 in insulated chimney like you describe. It is 25 feet. The quote didn't itemize out the liner install but total including the stove was 6k. Maybe a second opinion is in order?

And for what it's worth, it took two guys (one inside, one outside) about 15 mins to slide the new liner down the existing chimney.
I admit I’m feeling pretty doom and gloom right now and there’s probably other options haha. So, it was explained to me that the current 8in liner will not fit a 6in insulated flex liner because it would be too tight of a fit with how the insulation works. What they would do is install a rigid 6in liner with snap on insulation that’s slightly less thickness and would fit inside the current liner. That, combined with having to go all the way down to the basement where the chimney ends (stove is on main floor), makes it 35-40 feet. He said it would probably be pretty much an all day job. He also said they could remove the current liner and put a flex liner in, which is cheaper, but with the removal added it would be about the same cost. He also said if I can figure out a way to remove the liner myself it could save cost, but I’ve got no idea what I’d be doing there. He also said just avoiding that current masonry chimney and putting in a whole new chimney right up through the ceiling might be cheaper, but I don’t think that’s an option based on the layout of the second floor above the stove room and the attic above that.

It just got so much more complicated than I thought it would and I’m pretty overwhelmed.

My guess is that they are looking to install 6" DuraLiner which should fit. It is expensive at around $300 for a 4' length or $1800 for 24'. That's a long ways away from $5k. With the addtional fittings, it might come up to $2500 but then there is the labor involved.

How comfortable are you with getting up there and doing the liner swap yourself? You have all the knowledge in the world at your fingertips here, if you have the ability to access the chimney top yourself. As begreen already noted, this is a $2500 job for DIY, if the only outlay is direct material.

I have 3+ years of wood sitting at my house that I’ve spent every minute of free time collecting over the last 2 years. It’s really become an addiction and a lifestyle that was so fulfilling.
How comfortable are you with getting up there and doing the liner swap yourself? You have all the knowledge in the world at your fingertips here, if you have the ability to access the chimney top yourself. As begreen already noted, this is a $2500 job for DIY, if the only outlay is direct material.
Man, no way I'd be defeated here...I'd find a way...probably just DIY it myself (well for sure if it was me...I've already put up several chimneys and installed several liners, for myself and others...its not that hard once you know whats what) even more rewarding then too!
Look at a preinsulated liner to drop into the existing 8"...it'll fit. (7.5" OD)

Last edited:
To me it seems like they simply don't want the job. Pulling out the old liner should be at most 250. Probably less. And why do they need to run the new one to the basement?

Reactions: Earlnemo and Ashful
Here, $2150 for a 40'
$1600, 35'
$1975, 40'

Last edited:
Reactions: Ashful
Better plan on a damper in the stove pipe too...that tall of a chimney is going to draft like a Hoover! (read: draft WAY too high)

Reactions: Ashful
Yeah, the part about the removal of the old liner being such a hard, time consuming job doesn't sound right to me either.

I just had a mason rebuild the top of my chimney as well as remove the 8" liner that was in it and insulate and install a 6" liner in it's place. I think it took him and his helper all of 15 minutes to yank the old liner out. Maybe took them an hour to insulate and install the new liner?

Setting up and taking down staging and doing the masonry work definitely took the most time on that job, not pulling the old liner.

Here, $2150 for a 40'
$1600, 35'
$1975, 40'
Those are all light wall liners though

They won't work?
What would you recommend?
They will work but they are the minimum acceptable type for use with wood and are not what was proposed as a replacement. I would use atleast a Mid weight liner

They will work but they are the minimum acceptable type for use with wood and are not what was proposed as a replacement. I would use atleast a Mid weight liner
Does anyone make one in preinsulated?

Does anyone make one in preinsulated?
Here's one, I think...stainless inner and outer too...not bad for $1100 (liner only) EDIT: 8" OD though...existing liner would have to come out

Last edited:
Here's one, I think...stainless inner and outer too...not bad for $1100 (liner only)
Yup that's one

To me it seems like they simply don't want the job. Pulling out the old liner should be at most 250. Probably less. And why do they need to run the new one to the basement?
I guess that could be the case… good to know that pulling out the old liner wouldn’t be as complicated and time consuming as it was made to seem. As to why it has to go to the basement, it was never really explained, they just said that it would have to go to the basement. There is currently a T cap just below the wall entry of the stovepipe on the main level so that was confusing to me as well, I should have pressed more for an explanation. Do you not agree that it should go down to the basement?

Any chance you want to come up to Wisconsin to install for me haha?

I had a similar, albeit much more minor, heartbreaking start to my stove here. I had the insert in my living room and the guys up on the roof installing the liner when they hit a snag. They tried for an hour and couldn't get it down saying it kept getting stuck and said they couldn't install it. He suggested smashing our the clay liner as an option but at the time I wasn't working and spent everything I had budgeted already. I was devastated.

After sulking for a day I got to look for alternatives. Fast forward a couple weeks I found another reputable installer who came out and got the liner down and stove hooked up no issues. Price was about the same. Said it was straight forward and did it all by himself. I'm sitting in front of it right now 4 years later.

Moral of the story is it isn't hopeless and you can probably DIY or find another installer to help you. It sounds like you are like me and have your heart set on it. You'll find a way to get it done.

1000000749.jpg

Any chance you want to come up to Wisconsin to install for me haha?
I already called "dibs" five years ago, if we can get bholler on a road trip! ;lol

If you do consider DIYing it considering renting a manlift. It a manlift can get to the top of the chimney it makes things a lot easier and safer.

Thanks for all the replies with advice / moral support. To respond to a few, I’m just not comfortable DIYing for a few reasons, one being I’m just not the most handy guy and have no experience with anything like this, so I wouldn’t have much peace of mind with the safety of it… also it’s a pretty treacherous roof/chimney situation haha (see attached photo). Also assuming homeowners insurance won’t cover diy install?

I do have a few other chimney companies relatively close to me that I’ll reach out to and compare quotes. I guess worse case scenario I just do my upgrade in stages, get the new liner installed and continue using my old stove which is a bit undersized for the house. Then buy the new alderlea t6 in a year or 2. It’ll all depend on what I’m able to find for install of liner pricing. Thanks again for the support!

Btw if anyone here is familiar with sw Wisconsin and knows a good trustworthy installer pass that along to me haha
IMG_9690.png

Interesting idea. I think I'd lean towards multiple dampers and using the recommended 6" myself though. I have a 24' external chimney and Im right on the edge of needing a damper. A 40' run will surely need at least one.

I would be tempted to pull the 8" and install another 8" at that height just to help reduce some of the draft on that sucker. At 35-40ft you might need dual dampers to tame that 6" draft down.
I should clarify… 35ish feet would be to install the liner all the way down to the basement as the company I got the quote from said would need to be done. The stove however is located on the main floor of the house and the wall penetration is 6ft or so off the floor… so the actual chimney in use by the stove would be more like 25 feet I’d guess… I don’t currently have a damper and the draft is good but not overly strong. I’m guessing going to a 6” plus being insulated would make it stronger… but I was thinking it would be best to use 6” as that’s what is recommended by PE in the alderlea manual

This again makes me wonder why the liner would need to extend to the basement where the masonry chimney ends, since there’s a t cap below the wall penetration on the main level currently and I assume they’d go with the same setup. They wouldn’t leave 10-15 feet of open liner below the wall penetration would they?