Heartbroken…

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I would be tempted to pull the 8" and install another 8" at that height just to help reduce some of the draft on that sucker. At 35-40ft you might need dual dampers to tame that 6" draft down.
Oh also, I don’t think an 8” with insulation would fit

I got an email today with more information - if I remove the existing liner myself, cost of 6” insulated ss flex liner would be 4k. If they remove the old liner, it would add between $870 and $1300. I can find insulated liners online more in the $1200 price range. So 4k for the liner + install seems very excessive to me. I have zero knowledge on what the process is to remove an old liner, but based on what others have said here 1k give or take is quite excessive as well

I personally think they just don't really want or need the job and are price jacking you up to see if you'll overpay.

Reactions: kborndale
Better not!
I asked about this, they said that code says there has to be a clean out accessible, and the only place to put that would be in the basement. What’s always been done is to remove the stovepipe and clean from there, but they said that doesn’t fit code. So they would be planning on leaving the extra 10-15 feet of liner open beneath the wall penetration into the masonry chimney on the main floor… he said that it shouldn’t have much effect on draft.

My main problem is that this is basically the only PE dealer anywhere in my area… I guess I can find a different company to do the liner and install and just buy the stove from this place maybe.

Reactions: ctreitzell
So they would be planning on leaving the extra 10-15 feet of liner open beneath the wall penetration into the masonry chimney on the main floor… he said that it shouldn’t have much effect on draft.
It could have a huge affect on draft, unless the cleanout leg is capped, then it would be fine. That's how I did mine...

It could have a huge affect on draft, unless the cleanout leg is capped, then it would be fine. That's how I did mine...
Yeah I typically run down to the cleanout and seal it. But I wouldn't run down that far

When you say the clean out leg is capped, what do you mean?
Literally, capped...covered on the bottom, not open...

I asked about this, they said that code says there has to be a clean out accessible,
Yeah I typically run down to the cleanout and seal it. But I wouldn't run down that far
This is the first time I have heard of someone saying a cleanout is a code requirement. Maybe for a chimney, but for a reline?

There are a whole lot of liners that are capped at the bottom of the tee.

This is the first time I have heard of someone saying a cleanout is a code requirement. Maybe for a chimney, but for a reline?

Technically yes it is required by code. But honestly I have never seen it enforced. I do it when practical

I looked it up and apparently it is in Wisconsin? I’ve linked the code… it seems kinda vague in just saying that a cleanout opening shall be provided. I would think popping off the stove pipe like I currently do to access a cleanout would fulfill that but they seem to think differently.

https://docs.legis.wisconsin.gov/co...y shall be,cleanout opening shall be provided.

Line 2 (d) refers to a cleanout requirement for a masonry chimney, which your masonry chimney already has. I don't think that applies to the added metal liner.
Note that below it the code says connector pipe shall be 1" from combustibles without mentioning double-wall connectors with 6" clearance. Code does not cover everything, especially when it's not a safety issue.

Screenshot 2023-12-13 at 6.48.57 PM.png
Screenshot 2023-12-13 at 6.53.21 PM.png

Last edited:
Line 2 (d) refers to a cleanout requirement for a masonry chimney, which your masonry chimney already has. I don't think that applies to the added metal liner.
Note that below it the code says connector pipe shall be 1" from combustibles without mentioning double-wall connectors with 6" clearance. Code does not cover everything, especially when it's not a safety issue.

View attachment 320648View attachment 320649
So maybe being sticklers on this is another hint that they just really don’t want/need the job… I’ve been trying to reach out to other companies but haven’t heard much back yet. There aren’t a ton in my area

Not the best time of year for getting a quick response, I'd imagine. I suspect they slow down by March, and ramp back up in September.

So maybe being sticklers on this is another hint that they just really don’t want/need the job… I’ve been trying to reach out to other companies but haven’t heard much back yet. There aren’t a ton in my area
Some chimney sweeps will install too...any of those around?

There aren’t a ton in my area
Whereabouts, are ya? Are you in the Driftless area by chance? May be Kinda thin pickings finding much of anything for help over there!
Near La Crosse? I thought there was a few sweeps and dealers as well over there?

Whereabouts, are ya? Are you in the Driftless area by chance? May be Kinda thin pickings finding much of anything for help over there!
Near La Crosse? I thought there was a few sweeps and dealers as well over there?
Yeah, I’m in the driftless, anout halfway between Madison WI and Dubuque IA… so most of the companies are located in one of those two cities and some aren’t willing to travel out here. There are a few located a little closer but haven’t gotten much for replies yet. I’m guessing just busy season

Reactions: moresnow
Talking about cleanouts? Is there a cleanout part for single wall 6 inch stove pipe? My single wall goes straight up from the stove to the ceiling box. I believe the ceiling box allows the single wall to be pushed up, but I never tried, as I have rear shields on the pipe. It would be nice to have a small access door right at the stove.

Here you go: https://www.ncsg.org/

If you can't find one there, @bholler can tell you of other sweep org's, where you might find a better option for installers.
Awesome, thanks. I actually just went to the CSIA website and put in my zip code and sent emails to the 4 companies listed for my area, a few are also listed here. I’ll try a few of the others from this site as well. Thanks!

Reactions: Ashful
Just be wary of sweeps who can fit you in quickly, it might be possible but I would wonder about them. This time of year they should be booked up.
While there's some truth in this, my prior guy did good work, and still had the odd cancelation or opportunities to push the schedule around to fit me in, when needed. Sometimes they have a big job booked and the required material doesn't arrive in time, then voila... they have an opening for someone else!