New Construction Installation - Last minute panic!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

E Laszlo

May 6, 2014
Michigan
Hi everyone! First post, here goes...

I'm building a new house (traditional colonial box) and installing a corner stove (Woodstock Fireview or Keystone). The chimney will run inside the building envelope through the second floor master bedroom (through a chase) and through the roof at the highest point. Turns out, my planning may not work and i was hoping someone could help me. Btw, the first floor exterior walls are going up any day... so yes, this is a last minute panic!

Anyway, our family room where the stove will be is smaller... 14 x 15.5. The stove will take up considerable space, so getting the lowest clearances possible is paramount. Our house is built out of 2x6 studs and i was planning on doing a non combustible wall. Since this is a corner install, two wall are in play. One wall is an exterior 2x6 wall (backing to garage) and the other is an interior (backs to staircase) 2x6 wall, both load bearing. (Maybe not the stair wall, but there are footings beneath it?)

Questions -

1. If metal studs are used with DRYWALL on the back of the studs (backerboard and tile on the family room side and drywall in the garage and stair side) will the heat transfer through the metal studs to the drywall and cause a problem? For example only - If clearances are 6" to combustibles, does this mean i can essentially put the stove or pipe 1/2" off the family room wall; whereas, the 6" metal studs account for the 6" of clearance required? Or will the drywall on the backside of the wall be a factor?

2. If I use wood studs, how much clearance will be required for double wall stove pipe with attached heat shield? I've read 6" plus the attached shield should reduce that 50%. Is 3" of clearance correct? In addition to that, If wood studs are used, I would also use a wall shield with the required 1" ventilation pocket behind the stove... just in case.

Any thoughts on the set up? I can upload my house plans if that will help, but I'm really late for work...I'll be back!

Thanks for any help!

Welcome. Yes, these soapstone stoves have larger clearances. Per the manual, you can reduce clearances by installing an NFPA wall shield behind the stove from 18" to 12". http://www.woodstove.com/images/editorial_support/PDFs/fvinstallmanual.pdf

You are ok if you use metal studs with cement board like Durock NexGen on the interior side. This can be covered with tile. In that case the clearance to combustible would be to the nearest combustible which would be the drywall on the garage side. If this wall is to be insulated it should be done with unfaced fiberglass or better yet, Roxul mineral wool batts.

To my knowledge the clearance for double-wall stove pipe can not be reduced below it's specified 6" clearance. For sure get the final plan approved by the inspecting authority before proceeding.

Screen Shot 2014-05-06 at 8.15.01 AM.png

I don't think you should sweat the room size too much. Your family room is not that small. We have a larger stove in our living room which is 16'x15'. There's plenty of room for lots of furniture, walking space and plants. More important will be having large openings into other areas of the first floor to allow good heat circulation. Feel free to post the house plans if you need more suggestions.

Last edited:
Reactions: Owen1508
Welcome. Yes, these soapstone stoves have larger clearances. Per the manual, you can reduce clearances by installing an NFPA wall shield behind the stove from 18" to 12". http://www.woodstove.com/images/editorial_support/PDFs/fvinstallmanual.pdf

You are ok if you use metal studs with cement board like Durock NexGen on the interior side. This can be covered with tile. In that case the clearance to combustible would be to the nearest combustible which would be the drywall on the garage side. If this wall is to be insulated it should be done with unfaced fiberglass or better yet, Roxul mineral wool batts.

To my knowledge the clearance for double-wall stove pipe can not be reduced below it's specified 6" clearance. For sure get the final plan approved by the inspecting authority before proceeding.

View attachment 132772

I don't think you should sweat the room size too much. Your family room is not that small. We have a larger stove in our living room which is 16'x15'. There's plenty of room for lots of furniture, walking space and plants. More important will be having large openings into other areas of the first floor to allow good heat circulation. Feel free to post the house plans if you need more suggestions.

Great, thanks. I spoke with the builder and he said the walls are not load bearing. They were framed today, but he said we could go replace a few wood studs and with metal. I feel better knowing they're metal and clearance won't be of much concern. Thanks for the response!!

Assuming there will be cement board on the stove side, that's fine as long as the measurement to combustibles is taken from the drywall on the other side ofthe metal studs to the stove. Make sure your inspector is ok and approves this procedure in advance and take pictures before closing walls.

Status
Not open for further replies.