New convection blower replaced and won't turn

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

bootdown21

Dec 30, 2013
Niantic, CT
I have a Avalon (Lopi) AGP insert stove that is about 5 years old. The convection blower was squealing very loudly to the point that it was unbearable. I decided to buy a replacement blower and when I installed it, it now won't work. I run the stove and it just turns off after a few seconds. I validated the wire connections were good so I think that is fine. The old motor had 2 black wires and the new one had a black and a white. So I wired up the white to white and then the black to the brown wire. Thought that was the correct way.

I emailed the seller but am waiting on a reply. Besides calling in a pellet stove guy to come take a look, I am at a loss here. Was hoping to save the $$.

Any ideas on what to check next?

Here is the replacement part.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Avalon-250...935799?hash=item2840727937:g:GZsAAOSwCmNZxVec

I have a Avalon (Lopi) AGP insert stove that is about 5 years old. The convection blower was squealing very loudly to the point that it was unbearable. I decided to buy a replacement blower and when I installed it, it now won't work. I run the stove and it just turns off after a few seconds. I validated the wire connections were good so I think that is fine. The old motor had 2 black wires and the new one had a black and a white. So I wired up the white to white and then the black to the brown wire. Thought that was the correct way.

I emailed the seller but am waiting on a reply. Besides calling in a pellet stove guy to come take a look, I am at a loss here. Was hoping to save the $$.

Any ideas on what to check next?

Here is the replacement part.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Avalon-250...935799?hash=item2840727937:g:GZsAAOSwCmNZxVec
Try wiring it to a lamp plug in cord and see if that turns it. If it doesn't you probably got a bad motor.

I recently bought an installed a brand new convection blower in my Lopi Pioneer. My problem is that it never worked at all. I hear it 'humming', as if it is trying to turn, but it never starts.
In addition, previous to that, I have replaced both high limit and low limit snap discs, and the flow switch as well. Part has been to checked to ensure that it is good. I even bought a brand new circuit board 10 days ago, and installed it as well.
What is the deal with the convection blower HUMMING? When I tapped on the end of it gently, the humming stopped so I know it's the convection blower making the 'humming' sound.
Help...please

Is there an easy way to do it without ruing the terminal connectors?
You could buy some terminal connectors at a local hardware or auto parts store and put that on the lamp cord. It might be possible to jam the lamp cord wires into the motor terminals but be careful - add some tape so they don't pull out and expose the live voltage.

Reactions: rona
Try running the stove with convection blower on “high”. If it works then you have a single speed motor and it will not work with speed controlers. Which is what pellet stoves have. Sellers on ebay are marking chit parts with oem numbers and are deceiving the public. Do your homework.

30 bucks difference
https://store.heatredefined.com/collections/25-pdv/products/pu-4c442

Last edited:
Try running the stove with convection blower on “high”. If it works then you have a single speed motor and it will not work with speed controlers. Which is what pellet stoves have. Sellers on ebay are marking chit parts with oem numbers and are deceiving the public. Do your homework.

30 bucks difference
https://store.heatredefined.com/collections/25-pdv/products/pu-4c442

So i was able to get the blower working outside the stove itself. It powered up and ran fine so i know the blower works. I am not sure how to run it on 'high' to test if it is single speed or not.

Also i thought the original squealing sounds was from the blower but i plugged in the old one into the wall and it runs fine... no squealing!

So i was able to get the blower working outside the stove itself. It powered up and ran fine so i know the blower works. I am not sure how to run it on 'high' to test if it is single speed or not.

Also i thought the original squealing sounds was from the blower but i plugged in the old one into the wall and it runs fine... no squealing!

Ok so with your blower in the stove and the stove running, turn the fan control knob(digital speed controller) to high(full line voltage) just like plugging into the wall outlet. Any other setting lowers voltage and if the motor is not designed to run on speed controls it will not work at all or just sit and hum till it trips its internal thermal switch.

Last edited:
Ok so with your blower in the stove and the stove running, turn the fan control knob(digital speed controller) to high(full line voltage) just like plugging into the wall outlet. Any other setting lowers voltage and if the motor is not designed to run on speed controls it will not work at all or just sit and hum till it trippes its internal thermal switch.

Makes sense, I will test that tonight. I think I only had the control knob turned on low or half when I tried.