Combustion blower won't turn off

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

serenelake-in-tahoe

Dec 27, 2023
Soda Springs, CA
Hello I have a napoleon NPS40 and the combustion blower won't turn off. When it has been off for hours and totally cold, it is running. I unplugged it and replugged it in and it runs. I tried to check the low limit switch thinking that it was thinking the stove was overheating and thus turning on the blower. It seems to have a complete circuit when checked with a meter. I disconnected the wire to it breaking the circuit but the blower stayed on. Any ideas how to trouble shoot this?

Last edited:
No the igniter is turning off. I did check that. Thanks. I'm starting to wonder if this could be the "power control relay"? If this is not caused by some switch or sensor being bad then the catch all is that little bit of circuitry.

Reactions: ARC
For anyone else wanting to look at wiring diagram
1703883108206.png

Attachments

• NPS40.pdf
    3.4 MB · Views: 99
I stand corrected. I checked the igniter again and it was on. Always on! So it must be the power relay. Its funny I checked the igniter at first but I think it was bad so I "thought" it was off. I've ordered a new power relay and hopefully this will fix it.

Could be a shorted igniter switch too, W660-0054 IGNITION SWITCH 120°F (60°C) but like I said your wiring is different then most brand stoves. igniter switch could be stuck closed. It is the 120° snap switch on the exhaust channel. Hopefully it is the power relay and that solves your problem.

Last edited:
Could be a shorted igniter switch too, W660-0054 IGNITION SWITCH 120°F (60°C) but like I said your wiring is different then most brand stoves. igniter switch could be stuck closed. It is the 120° snap switch on the exhaust channel. Hopefully it is the power relay and that solves your problem.
Humm. How does that work? If it reaches 120 it closes? But that would tell the unit that it is too hot and so the combustion fan turns on? Also isn't that supposed to turn the igniter off too? I should be able to test it but unattaching the wires?

Last edited:
Hey thanks great older threads. They were really interesting. My ignition switch is okay. I think I've always kept my unit clean or maybe the design is better but that switch looks great and doesn't see like it is get melted.

I am pretty sure at this point it is the power relay. Just waiting for the replacement to come in so I can see if it fixes all of my issues. Thanks again!

Reactions: ARC