New Defiant ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rot

Jul 28, 2012
After burning a non airtight franklin woodstove for the past 20 years i am shopping for a new stove.I am leaning towards the Vermont Castings Defiant. Anyone have the new 2n1 if so how do you like it?

Do a search. There's a very lengthy thread about the new 2n1's. Might have been the Encore though.

I do believe that 7 or 8 page thread was about the Encore, but I think the two stoves share a lot in their design.

Long story short, the old Encores and Defiants got some pretty bad reviews, as did the company's support of them. That was under CFM ownership, and they ran VC into bankruptcy. They have since been acquired by MHC, and have released some all-new designs, the new Encore and Defiant being among them.

Most folks who have the new stoves seem to be happy with their purchase, although there were some reports of the rear burn plate (refractory material, not cast iron) breaking. Some people experienced multiple failures. It was suspected the failures were on the earlier serial numbers in the new model series, but no one ever confirmed it.

Why MHC kept the same model names as those infamous CFM stoves, I'll never figure out. I don't think Ford will be naming their next car "Pinto".

Status
Not open for further replies.