1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

New energy source - methane hydrate

Post in 'The Inglenook' started by Swedishchef, Mar 12, 2013.

1. Swedishchef

Swedishchef Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Quebec, Canada

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. woodgeek

woodgeek Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SE PA
    Known for a long time. Deposits are solid, under deep water, look like ice cubes that you can light on fire. Extraction would need to be in situ using heat and or solvent of some sort. Some evidence that deposits are mechanically unstable, and can 'landslide' and produce tsunamis 1000s of miles away. :eek: Makes little fracking quakes look like small taters
  3. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    Yep. A genie we don't want coming out of the bottle. But some are taking a shot at it. The stuff may erupt on its own before long in some places.
  4. jharkin

jharkin Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Holliston, MA USA
    Isn't this the same stuff the really extreme AGW dormers say is going to start bubbling out of the ocean and turn the Earth to Venus?
    Swedishchef likes this.
  5. Swedishchef

Loc:
    Quebec, Canada
    lol. Either way, people will be drilling for it. Someone will develop a "safe" way to get it to services.... I don't doubt that it has been known for a long time (I remember a prof of mine at University talking about it...he was an inorganic chemist who loved crystals) but now it is going to be extracted which brings it to a new level for consumers...

It has always been present in Natural gas pipelines and increases costs of transport as they must remove all the water in the lines/gas so that no hydrates form. Otherwise the ice can impede the flow of gas.

Andrew
  6. woodgeek

Loc:
    SE PA
    Most of the activity seems to be in Japan...which makes 'sense' based on their needs and resources. Don't see investment in NA at the present price of natgas!
  7. woodgeek

Loc:
    SE PA
    I suppose. But if I wanted to keep something cold, the bottom of the sea would be a good place to keep it safe....hasn't been warm down there for a very long time.
    FrankMA likes this.
  8. Beetle-Kill

Beetle-Kill Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Colorado- near the Divide
    Damn. I saw the title to this thread and thought I might be able to heat this place by wearing a set of diapers with a hose out the back.
    No more splitting 6 cord a year!:)

Buzzkill.:mad:
    Jags and firefighterjake like this.
  9. stoveguy2esw

stoveguy2esw Minister of Fire

Loc:
    madison hgts. va
    "fire ice" as its been referred to in the past has been a known thing for quite a while, the potential for "slumping" out of the continental shelf is the worry tsunami wise.

geting the stuff out without losing it or causing these slumps seems to be proving difficult to do on a scale making it workable as a viable fuel source apparantly the japanese have figured out how to get the stuff up and out i heard a story on that yesterday but i do not really know the specifics
  10. Jags

Jags Moderate Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern IL
    Burning more hydrocarbons...yay.o_O
  11. Swedishchef

Loc:
    Quebec, Canada
    I may just try to buy a horse. Mounties used to ride them and it worked great ;)
  12. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Ok for city driving as long as they carry their own poop bucket and have a methane recovery system. But they get lousy mileage on freeway driving.
  13. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    Horses have lousy DOT crash test scores.
  14. stoveguy2esw

stoveguy2esw Minister of Fire

Loc:
    madison hgts. va
    wonder what the DOT score for an amish wagon is. is there a "cafe" standard for horse drawn buggies? does the amish owner have to pay taxes on the hay to fuel the power source of the vehicle? if not do they pay a "user tax" to cover their "fair share" of the road's upkeep?
  15. Ehouse

Ehouse Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Upstate NY

Ikea will buy up the wrecks.
    BrotherBart likes this.