New Enviro M55 fire keeps going out

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rancho Steve

Oct 31, 2016
California
Just had a new M55 insert installed by the dealer and have turned it on three times. Twice the pellets funnel in the center and do not drop from the sides causing the fire to go out. Third time the fire went out right after I put in a bag of pellets. I've turned the stove ft each time and it restarts fine. I'm using Golden Fire pellets and the dealer and I are trying to figure this out. Help would be much appreciated.

I have asked the mods to move this to the main forum so it will more likely get noticed by those that can help (it is in the wood pellet review section now).

What position are you running in- auto hi/o or manual?? Any error lights flashing after it goes off?? More data is needed. If the stove doesn't drop pellets initially, exh blower is running, stove lights and fire builds from then, what does it do??

What position are you running in- auto hi/o or manual?? Any error lights flashing after it goes off?? More data is needed. If the stove doesn't drop pellets initially, exh blower is running, stove lights and fire builds from then, what does it do??

Running in manual position, as we haven't connected a thermostat yet. There are no flashing lights; the fire goes out and the blower stays on.

Hi Rancho- sorry you are having difficulty.... Was the air damper adjusted during install? Its the small rod with a hole in it coming out of the side of the stove behind the left (facing the insert) side panel. It normally is about 1/2 to 3/4 inch of rod showing. Also, does the auger feed a good amount of start up fuel to start the cycle? Sometimes difficult lighting pellets are the pellets themselves, but mostly not. I'd be looking at the pre startup fuel and one more thing- Make sure the wires to the POF switch (left rear of stove by exh blower) are connected, but you should get a #3 flashing light on the daughter board. Does the stove continue to feed after its initial ignition?? The magnet for the hopper slide is in place underneath it?? Something to check as well. A new M55 once the auger tube is full usually starts easily and quickly.....

Hi Rancho- sorry you are having difficulty.... Was the air damper adjusted during install? Its the small rod with a hole in it coming out of the side of the stove behind the left (facing the insert) side panel. It normally is about 1/2 to 3/4 inch of rod showing. Also, does the auger feed a good amount of start up fuel to start the cycle? Sometimes difficult lighting pellets are the pellets themselves, but mostly not. I'd be looking at the pre startup fuel and one more thing- Make sure the wires to the POF switch (left rear of stove by exh blower) are connected, but you should get a #3 flashing light on the daughter board. Does the stove continue to feed after its initial ignition?? The magnet for the hopper slide is in place underneath it?? Something to check as well. A new M55 once the auger tube is full usually starts easily and quickly.....

stovelark, thank you for this information. I will have to ask the dealer/install shop about the damper rod, pof switch and magnet. As far as starting, it gets fire within 2-3 minutes and I can hear the pellets feeding during and after. So far no flashing lights.

If I'm reading this right I think he's saying the pellets are getting hung up in the hopper and stove is going out due to lack of fuel. If so you can coat the hopper with spray graphite or wipe if down with a wax sheets and that will promote better feed

If I'm reading this right I think he's saying the pellets are getting hung up in the hopper and stove is going out due to lack of fuel. If so you can coat the hopper with spray graphite or wipe if down with a wax sheets and that will promote better feed

Thanks. I'm going to let it burn out all of the pellets and as soon as I hear back from the dealer about some install questions, will give this a shot.

Talked to the Enviro Rep and shared what I have learned. He is going to check with the factory and work this through. Thanks to everybody, I'll let you know what they come up with.

I had a problem with the magnet for the hopper switch, that is glued to the bottom of the lid, dragging on the mode switch. When I shut the lid, the magnet would push the mode switch to hi/Lo or on/off, and without a thermostat installed, the stove would drop to Lo and eventually shut down if in on/off. But whenever I opened the lid to trouble shoot, it would drag the switch back to manual, so it was hard to diagnose.

To check for this, shut the hopper lid normally with switch in manual, then lift up on the lid slightly and pull open, and check position of mode switch to see if it was still in manual, or if it was pushed to hi/Lo or on/off

I had a problem with the magnet for the hopper switch, that is glued to the bottom of the lid, dragging on the mode switch. When I shut the lid, the magnet would push the mode switch to hi/Lo or on/off, and without a thermostat installed, the stove would drop to Lo and eventually shut down if in on/off. But whenever I opened the lid to trouble shoot, it would drag the switch back to manual, so it was hard to diagnose.

To check for this, shut the hopper lid normally with switch in manual, then lift up on the lid slightly and pull open, and check position of mode switch to see if it was still in manual, or if it was pushed to hi/Lo or on/off

Thanks. I checked the lid movement and the mode switch stayed in place.

Rancho - What do you mean the pellets do not go to the side?

Do you hear the auger turing to feed the fire? Do you see pellets dropping into the burn pot?

Are you set for 'premium pellet'?

If you answered yes to all of the above see below:

If this is a brand new m55, there is a restrictor plate in the hopper that slows the feed to the burn pot. There is a thread that shows how to adjust it. In the meantime, turn your feed rate up to 5 on a heat setting of 3, turn your combustion blower setting to 1.

Rancho - What do you mean the pellets do not go to the side?

Do you hear the auger turing to feed the fire? Do you see pellets dropping into the burn pot?

Are you set for 'premium pellet'?

If you answered yes to all of the above see below:

If this is a brand new m55, there is a restrictor plate in the hopper that slows the feed to the burn pot. There is a thread that shows how to adjust it. In the meantime, turn your feed rate up to 5 on a heat setting of 3, turn your combustion blower setting to 1.

Not sure what the settings are, assuming factory set. Read the manual again and will follow the directions regarding how to set the feed rate and blower. Thank you for your help.

Rancho - your installer should have walked you though this, which makes me wonder if the installer set your damper for you. Did they show you were to adjust the exhaust vent on he left side of the stove?

Rancho - your installer should have walked you though this, which makes me wonder if the installer set your damper for you. Did they show you were to adjust the exhaust vent on he left side of the stove?

Unfortunately, I was not home during the install, just my wife. They are coming back and I intend to be here to get an overview of the stove and operation, but I'm not sure how much that person will actually know. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Good luck, let us know how it goes. FYI I've found the the Enviro likes a little more draft than the factory recommends. The factory suggestion will have a slightly 'dirty' burn, but you can play with that and see what works best for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.