New EPA regulations.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've found that the firewood sellers that plan on staying in business for many years usually are pretty responsible. Often it's the one timers that give the biz a bad name.

Super efficient wood stoves are a step forward ,same as cars,homes ect.

I have read literally thousands of RAP sheets. I've never heard of anyone being ticketed, arrested or prosecuted for selling short cords or wet wood. . . .

Thank Gawd

When it comes to green wood and old stoves, its not hard to spot the offenders.

I think that is because disputes are usually settled in the driveway. And most folks don't know the law.

PS: Redd, why reading so many rap sheets? Job or hobby?

I have read literally thousands of RAP sheets. I've never heard of anyone being ticketed, arrested or prosecuted for selling short cords or wet wood. . . .

Thank Gawd

You have to read other people's RAP sheets to find it Redd.

Thank Gawd
Same as the oil guy charging you for 100 gallons of oil and pumping 60. Coal guys have been known to do it on occasion. Short tons. Deceptive business practices.

Got a old stove in my travel trailer, only reasons upgrading to EPA one with Washington approval is cause I am building it myself and burns longer with what knowledge I have gathered. Speaking which, is that ceramic fiberboard in those quadraburn stoves for baffle above the secondary burn tubes?

Same as the oil guy charging you for 100 gallons of oil and pumping 60. Coal guys have been known to do it on occasion. Short tons. Deceptive business practices.

Ever notice how when something rings up at the wrong price at the cash resister, the wrong price is always "accidentally" higher than the marked price? Funny how only one time in a hundred something rings in at a LOWER price.

It wouldn't. Can't cover that case any more than it would cover folks that build their own wood stoves.

as to the suggested regulating of firewood, how would this proposed regulation cover folks who harvest their own wood?

Jeeez, everyone quiet down! There might be a government official reading this....now we just gave them a new fuel tax! If the government has to step in and build 9 new buildings in DC just to make sure the firewood sellers play nice.....your firewood will be delivered at 10% MC or less but will cost $1000 a cord!

Then there will be a special tax form for people who provide there own heat and energy. You would end up having to buy carbon credits or some crazy thing.

Reactions: Bigg_Redd
It wouldn't. Can't cover that case any more than it would cover folks that build their own wood stoves.

I suspect that insurance underwriters do a decent job of that , though I think legislation could be crafted to take care of the home made stove issue as well. granted people will still do it( I see the occasional call where a person calls in and tries to buy one of our cast doors to build a home made stove we will not sell them the door. company policy. its not so much to punish a person for not buying a stove from us , we simply do not want anything to do with someone building a stove that could potentially be unsafe. anyone who calls in to buy a door and has a valid serial number tag on the unit , yeah no problem (though its pretty hard to ruin a door like that) but if they do not have one of our stoves , they aint buying a door from me.

my issue with regulating wood is its not the biggest part of the problem, you can have the best most seasoned wood on the planet and burn it in a stove that's not designed to burn clean and it aint gonna burn clean. or if you burn it in a stove which was designed to do so in an improper way, same thing.

like I say constantly , EDUCATION, and a little help from the government to make the decision to upgrade more palatable. this is where the bulk of the money should be spent.

Reactions: pen
Now that we've reached the point of moving to a different country, I think it's time to put this to bed ;)

(really though, it's been almost 2 months, time for more news to start a new discussion,,,, in the meantime, lets start gathering fuel so it's dry and we aren't part of the problem,,,, while we are at it, keep up the chatter about good burning practices at work during lunch break, with friends, family, etc, and let education about good burning practices help us in the future).

pen

Reactions: 1750
Status
Not open for further replies.