1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

New gasket...or...?? BKK question-

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by Beetle-Kill, Sep 28, 2013.

1. Beetle-Kill

Beetle-Kill Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Colorado- near the Divide
    Checked the door gasket, all good except for the lower right corner. That area did not pass the dollar-bill test. I'm thinking of a new gasket and loosening up the tension on the latch enough to seal but not have to crank it into position. OR,- has the door frame warped enough I need to think about straightening it? I'm not aware of that being a problem with these doors but , who know's? Input? Thanks, JB.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. webby3650

webby3650 Master of Fire

Loc:
    southern Indiana
    I highly doubt it's warped! Unless the gasket is a month old, I'd put money on it being the problem.
  3. Beetle-Kill

Beetle-Kill Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Colorado- near the Divide
    webby3650, I plan on replacing the gasket because of this, but.. I'm wondering about the latch. The latch "cam's" the door closed, and I have a substantial amount of wear on the contact areas on the latch/cam. Over time, I can see this becoming the cause as the contact points might cause the door to effect a "twist" when shut. Especially on the far side from the hinge points. - anyone else see this on their doors? Thanks, JB