New Girlfriend: "I want to know how to put wood in this thing!"

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

zzr7ky

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Jun 12, 2006
Hi -

New girlfriend around the house 3rd time last night. "I want to know how to put wood in this thing!"

I do know she's very concerned about fire safety. She seems to really enjoy radiant heat of the stove.

Seems like a good sign ; ) On the other hand maybe she was jealous at the attention the stove gets!

Perhaps cold start lessons in time.

ATB,
Mike P

cool. she may be a keeper.
yea my wife is pretty cute w/the gloves and a couple of splits. cant get her to swing an ax ... but i'm probably better off.

If you ever get into a domestic situation where she's concerned about your utility bills (hint, hint), she should be even more interested in the stove. In my experience, no gas bill, smaller electric bill, a warm house and unlimited hot water makes for a happy spouse, more than willing to shoulder some of the workload.

I am confused.
Are you the new girlfriend?
Or you have a new girlfriend?
Either way I guess learn/teach to burn hot in the zone.
I hate comming home to smoldering wood.

Hi -

My new girlfriend. She's a city girl, but loves a challenge. Seems to be a very quick study, (nurse/teacher).

Personally I'm not asking her to swing an axe. If she wants to she will. Stacking and woods bumming partner seem more likely.

I'll have to introduce the thermometer lesson soon.

I like it.

Hi -

My new girlfriend. She’s a city girl, but loves a challenge. Seems to be a very quick study, (nurse/teacher).

Ahh...ok.
Well A new Girlfriend that like a challenge..thats sweet!
Give her some kindling and a Torch.
Mine loves the Torch. I will wake up in the middle of the night to the sweet sound of propane gas hitting the pine....shroooooooooooooooooooow

steam man said:
Sounds good-but does she stack wood also?

Well, maybe she is stacked...

Yeah, just be careful with that. I was showing my new girlfriend how to put wood in the stove, enjoy the fire, etc...then the wife showed up. :(

OK, it wasn't that bad...luckily, they get along. But have fun with the new set up!

gotta love that. can have alot of fun in the woods with a new gal..:)

It is indeed a pleasure when the lady gets the fire going before you get up. All it took was a little cold snap and now the fire is started when I get up. I just go down and take a look and learn that I am indeed not the only one in the house that can tend to the fire.
I have no illusion that she is going to go to the woodpile and get some. Oh, she did that when I was sick with a cold, but as soon as I was better, that was the end of that. (she actually did it in a blizzard though, wearing a klondike fur hat and all: what a gal)
Good luck with the training: just keep it that it is her idea...

swestal -

"Just keep it her idea..." You are so right.

She sounded pretty pleased with herself, found her way out to the woodpile, picked some handy lookin' splits, let 'em get good and established charring, damped it down and took a nap! I'll have to add the Nap step to my routine!

ATB,
Mike P

I got sick with a stomach thing on Friday night and turned over the gloves to my wife for Sat. and Sun. and she started handled all stove operations and the house was nice and warm while I laid in bed like a newborn aching and yacking.

I uttered to her she could run the furnace if she wanted to as I was not up to doing anything. Saturday I only ate 3 saltine crackers and half a cup of 7up. House never got cold.

It is good to have a back up plan if one gets sick or is not around.

There are a few lady wood wranglers on this board- just ease her into it and make sure everything stays clean.
She might surprise you and ask for her own lighter maul!

I don't get why you some of you boys make such a big deal about the women folk doing what should be done by either sex.

Girl said:
I don't get why you some of you boys make such a big deal about the women folk doing what should be done by either sex.

Hey Girl, long time no talk.

Well, I can only speak for myself, but in my case, I get the whole "I am afraid of it", "wood is too heavy", "wood is cold", "wood is dirty", "I burned myself once, never again" stuff. Basically any excuse not to. Remember, wood fire ain't for everyone, and that could include your spouse or significant other.

Jags said:
Girl said:

Hey Girl, long time no talk.

Well, I can only speak for myself, but in my case, I get the whole "I am afraid of it", "wood is too heavy", "wood is cold", "wood is dirty", "I burned myself once, never again" stuff. Basically any excuse not to. Remember, wood fire ain't for everyone, and that could include your spouse or significant other.

:)
Haha yes that does includes my other half.
I come home & he is still in his coat & hat (he touches that thermostat hes paying my bill, lol)
He says the wood stove is my baby, but he will do it if I ask him to.
I guess it is one of those small sacrifices we make for the ones we love *sigh*
;)

Wife has been great at working the stove. She wasn't too up for it at first, but came around once the heat and oil bills started. She won't cut, split, or haul wood, but she'll make sure it gets in the stove. Works for me.
Chad

My wife saw this thread and she said she's jealous I get up at night to put wood in the stove, but not her! :cheese:

I don’t get why you some of you boys make such a big deal about the women folk doing what should be done by either sex.

Ditto that, Girl! Last week Tuesday I was carrying wood into the house, getting ready to split some wood, when my brother called. He needed a ride to the emergency room. So I had to change and drive around and sit in the emergency room all afternoon instead. By the time I got home it was dark and blizzarding. Although I like splitting wood for the most part, I was suprised to find how disapointed I was to have missed the splitting opportunity. I knew it would be a blizzard for the next couple days, and then I caught some virus (probably from all the darn sick people at the hospital!) and was sick for days. Mostly better now, but another blizzard today. Truly am looking forward to a non-snowing day so I can split some wood and haul some more up to the house from the pile. Sitting around in the house is making me sluggish.

That New Girlfriend has fantasies. Don't let her down.

Status
Not open for further replies.