New Guy - 2 Oaks and a Maple

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gregp553

Hearth Supporter
Nov 15, 2009
SE Michigan
I've lurked and learned long enough, now I've joined your club. Where to begin? I have an old Thor insert that I hope will offset my really high gas bills this winter. Has the flu liner inside an internal chimney. Not heating the house, just trying to raise the temperature on weekends to save some money. I scrounged wood (habit forming) with some success, but from the picture (if it posts) you can see I have some wood around the house. That oak is really leaning over the house the way it looks, and we finally decided to take it and another larger oak down before gravity dropped them on the house. Also dropped a small maple rubbing against my deck. My tree guy seen in the photo says the oak will be ready to burn in 4 months. I've read enough here to not believe that. I was surprised to see sap literally flowing out of the tree during one of the lower cuts. It flowed for 20-30 seconds. They were living trees. Just too risky to leave up any longer. And I got a great deal for the cutting. Yes, I saved the wood. Luckily, I ordered a Fiskars that should be delivered next week. Lots of splitting to do. I've learned a lot reading here and enjoy seeing the passion for wood and fire. Hope you enjoy the photo of a job I will never do. gp

Attachments

• P1040598.jpg
    P1040598.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 276
So this is the before pic? Nice straight trees you got there. Guess it will really open the place up come spring. Looks like a neat house. In williamsburg va, any contemporaries are like a real novelty.

Speaking of newly cut wood - my neighbors lost 1/2 an old maple (dropped on the power line) this weekend, and had to have the other half taken down today. I hoped to scrounge some of their wood but there were other neighbors there who were more equipped to get it first. (including chainsaws and backhoe.) I suspect they will be burning it TOMORROW! One of them had thick smoke bellowing out his chimney. I asked if he had any advice as I am putting in an insert soon and they were both surprised that I intend to get a liner and thought I should just back that baby up into the chimney! The guy with the smoke has a 30 yr old Jotul. He says he figures his clearances might be a little less than they should be, but oh well!

That's the tree guy at the top. Too many tall trees and some of them lean out looking for sun. Stays cool in the summer though with all the shade. The house is unusual, lots of levels. Contemporary is best description I guess. Years ago I had an insert that was just pushed into the fireplace. Worked fine for two years then gave it back to friend who asked me to store it.

Status
Not open for further replies.