New guy here with a Stove Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dustin

Minister of Fire
Sep 3, 2008
Western Oregon
Hello! new to the site...but iv'e been lurking around for awhile reading the tips. I love this place.

I just installed an Osburn fireplace insert. It heats MUCH better than my old Kodiak Stove I have in my downstairs fireplace.

The only downside is my glass soots up in about three hours, and cleaning it SUCKS.

Ideas on why it soots up so fast? Air issue? am I choking the fire down too low?

Thanks!!

Dustin
Northwest Oregon

I would venture to say not enough air from ether poor draw or burning wood that is not properly seasoned. Or a combination of the two with not operating the stove properly. I like simple answers. Hope that helps. Also, just a tip. If your careful not to get it all over the place, simple oven cleaner makes quick work out of cleaning the glass. Dont get it on the stove the paint or finish will not like it.

The wood i'm burning is dry, really really dry. It's been seasoned in the shed for about 6 years. Almost too dry!

I think it could be my operation. A friend of the family, an old fella always says "keep the air choked off so it's just BARELY burning." And that's what iv'e been doing...bad idea?

The stove needs to get up to temperature so that secondary burn occurs and is sustained while the wood is outgassing. If it is throttled back too soon, you may get a sooted glass and chimney. The old fella is used to burning a pre-EPA stove aka smoke dragon. This stove has a different and much cleaner burn cycle as long as it is allowed to get hot enough to do it's work.

Is there a thermometer on the stove? That will give an indication of how hot the firebox is. Try to keep it over 400 degrees until the wood is in the total coal stage. Also, if you see smoke coming out of the chimney it is not burning well.

It's still pretty warm right now in Western OR. The stove should draft better as it gets colder. For now, try burning shorter, hotter fires.

Not a cat stove....wish it was!

I have been kicking the air back prior to the fire being at coal stage, I think that may be the issue....any other tips??

Also, is there a way to turn my non-cat stove into a cat stove??

Burn dry wood and keep secondary burn going while the wood is outgassing are the best ways to keep the glass clean. In fall and spring, shorter hot fires are better than long smoldering ones. There is no way to convert it to a cat that I know of.

my neighbor uses oven cleaner and newpaper to clean his glass.... it cleans pretty easy... you must wait untill like morning or after work when the fire has died down and leave the door open to cool the glass a bit

Status
Not open for further replies.