New guy looking for help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fman872

Nov 24, 2011
Northern New Jersey
Hi everyone found this site and have learned a lot but couldn't find anyone in my situation. I'm going to be installing a free standing stove. I have only one place to put it that meets the clearance specs. Now my question is if the stove pipe is run strait up it will be close to the joists (aprox. center 4.5 in. away) and the center of support box would not be over stove. So can I use two 45's and just angle the pipe over and then up? Where would this be closer to the stove or closer to the support box? What else could I do? I plan on using Dura Vent from top to bottom.

Thanks

Welcome to the forum. Our stove has an offset. If the flue is on the short side, it may be better to do the offset up high so that draft gets better established. Ours is the opposite with the 45's low. We have about 20ft of flue height and it drafts pretty well, so this was an aesthetic decision.

I think I'm going to put them on the higher side to get things nice and hot before things start to turn. Is there anything special that I would need to know going about installing the stove pipe this way?

No, just follow directions and be sure to have 3 screws securing every joint.

And I also use furnace cement in the joints. It is cheap and will stop any potential air leaks.

Thanks for the info. I hope to start this next week and be enjoying the heat before winter sets in.

Fman872 said:
Hi everyone found this site and have learned a lot but couldn't find anyone in my situation. I'm going to be installing a free standing stove. I have only one place to put it that meets the clearance specs. Now my question is if the stove pipe is run strait up it will be close to the joists (aprox. center 4.5 in. away) and the center of support box would not be over stove. So can I use two 45's and just angle the pipe over and then up? Where would this be closer to the stove or closer to the support box? What else could I do? I plan on using Dura Vent from top to bottom.

Thanks
My support box is not centered over the stove either. Rather than 2 45s I chose to run the pipe at an angle all the way to the box. That required 2 30s until I got the Elm. It has an ingenious outlet that eliminated the bottom one. It has a cast iron outlet adapter mounted on a 45 degree plane that fully swivels. This allows the the stove pipe to point in any direction from straight up to straight back without changing the actual angle the flue gas leaves the stove at. So now the pipe exits the stove pointing straight to the box and requires only one adjustable elbow positioned for about a 30 degree angle to connect to the pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.