New guy with new BK stove.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Myke

May 23, 2016
WA
Hello,

New guy here just wanting to say thank you for all the information on this forum. I have been lurking here awhile researching my next stove. We had a Vermont Casting Resolute Acclaim for about 26 years and it was time to get a new one. After much reading and mulling, it was decided that a Blaze King would suite our (wife & I) what we were looking for.

The challenging part was sizing as we only have a 1,040 sq.ft home, but our ceilings are 17 ft tall and it's mostly an open floor plan with plenty of windows. After much mulling we went with the Sirocco 30.1 as most of the comments said to go a little larger for longer lower burn times than shorter burn times of the Sirocco 20 .... just load less wood in the larger one if necessary.

So anyhow, found a dealer and they did the removal of the old stove (and take away) and install of the new stove. The other decision was outside air kit or not and double wall chimney inside or not. We went with the outside air kit and double wall inside chimney. It's about 14-15 ft from top of stove to bottom of the fully insulated pipe running through the peak of the roof and then 3 ft above that.

Going to fire it up tomorrow when the wife is gone so I can have all the windows open and let it cure the paint and hopefully we'll be odor free by the time she gets home. Also, will be nice outside so I don't have to hang out either. Wish me luck and again, thank you for this forum.
Mike

ps: I'll get some picture up when I figure that out shortly.

Reactions: HearthPlus
Ok, some pictures.

Before:
DSCN0544.JPG

After:
bk.JPG

Looking good Myke. Let us know how you make out on the test burns/curing!

I had to do three break in burns to get indoor air quality to wife approval. Two would have been enough for me.

That was 15 or 20 cords ago. Once you have whatever assembly goop burnt off tou should be golden.

I suspect if you load that thing up with wood at 14-16% MC you'll have enough draft to run it on real low setting for a good long time when outdoor ambients are +50dF or cooler.

Save your damper moister wood for colder weather. In general higher anticipated thermostat setting lets you burn wood that isn't as dry without hiccups.

Congratulations. That should keep you cozy for many years to come.

You definitely did not want the 20 series stove. Ha! It is a very rare case where the 20 series has any advantage, it is really an odd offering.

17 foot ceilings are about double standard height so in terms of SF heated as stated by manufacturers you have a 2000 SF home which is well into the 30 series box sweet spot. With the open floor plan you will have no problem with overheating.

You made the right decision on double wall with that long run of interior pipe. All vertical and at 17-18 feet of stack is perfect, not too long and not too short. I am also a big OAK fan and they are required in WA among other places. It never hurts and your out the back install is pretty simple.

What part of WA? I can't tell from the pics. Was the wood required for the VC stove short enough to use in the BK loaded straight in? Hopefully you have 5-10 cords all ready to go. Shortening wood 4 inches is a PITA.

Thanks for the input folks.

Lake Girl - Unfortunately I could not do the cure burn yet. Will keep you posted.

Poindexter - I stuck my hand in the top before the pipe was put on and pulled it out with a bunch of grease on it. That probably adds to the odor stuff too. Oh joy! Ha!

Highbeam - Thanks for confirming our sizing and install decisions. We wanted to give it every chance of succeeding. The wood is cut about 15-16 inches long and will fit nicely I think. I have about 3 cords seasoned couple years MC is about 16%, and 4 more cords just split and stacked MC about 40%.

Thanks again!
Mike

Few more pic's of the place.

DSCN0564.JPG

DSCN0565.JPG

DSCN0561.JPG

Nice place Myke!

You're gonna like the BK. Hope you stick around to post on the 2016-17 Blaze King thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.